Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple extra anchor points when expanding/outlining a stroke

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

What's going on with Illustrator that adds so many anchor points when you expand/outline a path? This is the result I used to get before and then how it behaves now. Why does it need so many ancho points for a simple circle?

Piter1288_0-1641517228359.png

It does it with all the shapes regardless of how simple they are, like 6 for a triangle now?

Piter1288_2-1641517734630.png

Piter1288_1-1641517533355.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

that's weird indeed, but I did notice your shape is rather large, so digging a little I was finally able to replicate your problem

expanding a 425 pt diameter circle = 4 points

expanding a 426 pt diameter circle = a few more points

expanding larger circles = more points

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Piter1288, that's really weird! I'm not able to reproduce that though (MacOS AI v26.0.2).

Are you working with a simple appearance? For testing purposes, please press D for default appearance and choose Object > Path > Outline stroke. Does that give too many points also?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's even worse:

Piter1288_0-1641519086406.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, but why is the circle red? When I press D it sets fill to White and Stroke to Black. Is your default different?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did change the color before creating the circle so the anchor points will highlight better, I posted a little video about what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's weird indeed, but I did notice your shape is rather large, so digging a little I was finally able to replicate your problem

expanding a 425 pt diameter circle = 4 points

expanding a 426 pt diameter circle = a few more points

expanding larger circles = more points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good detective work Carlos! I can confirm the same on my system. I wonder what the reason is. I did notice there is a 1.5pt difference in the shape of the curve when comparing a 10,000pt expanded circle with a 10pt expanded circle scaled up to 10,000pt (it keeps the normal 4 points). So very minor. Interesting.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>I wonder what the reason is. 

It did the same on my second test on a 4K video profile. I suspect it is to maintain the integrity of the shape.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we have a winner! Yes, that reason, I checked that it does this if the circle is higher than 300 x 300 px. Here's a comparison between a 100 px vs a 500 px:

Piter1288_0-1641530851766.png

Now it surprises that the handlers cannot reach higher and it needs to add up to 30 anchor points to keep the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, I did notice scaling a small circle up doesn't add more anchor points. I have no idea what's going on.

About size difference, there's another related thread. A user reported that rotating a circle changed its dimensions. The issue could be related to the "circles not being real circles but Bezier approximations" discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, regardless of the size, if your circle is in rotation you will end up with extra points as well. These are less than 100 px circles:

Piter1288_0-1641531713285.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same results as Mark. I'm on Windows 11.

can you describe what you're doing exactly to try to replicate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video of the the proceeding for both expand and outline stroke:

https://recordit.co/RADvCmaLX0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at a loss. Anything unusual show up in the appearance panel? Running a beta version of Illustrator? Done a restart? Sorry.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my appearance panel:

Piter1288_0-1641529652092.png

I'm not on any beta version, yes, I did restart my computer, plus I don't use any type of extension that could be messing things up.

Does AI have any clear cache function? It's the only thing that I can think of. What I'm 100% sure is that it didn't happen before, cause it would've caught my attention for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What keyboard command are you doing to display the anchor points? I don't see you switching tools and want to confirm your method.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David! I use Windows, so just hit on the Ctrl key to display them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What keyboard command are you doing to display the anchor points? I don't see you switching tools and want to confirm your method.

By @Creamer Training

David, maybe this setting is on

show anchor points setting.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines