My work saved from a Mac is completely blank when I opened it on a PC

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a lot of work on some Illustrator files on a Mac computer at my university, saving periodically to two flash drives (the second is backup). When I got home and opened them on my PC computer, they were both completely blank. The only thing preserved was the number of artboards and their dimensions.

I used the same flash drives last year to work between university (Mac) and home (PC) with no problems. Both university and home have the most recent version of Illustrator. My university is closed, so I can't yet check if the Illustrator files on my flash drive still work on the university computer.

Are my files recoverable? How do I fix this so I can take my work home? I won't be able to finish my course if I can't work at home.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Are you saving directly to those flash drives or do you move the files there after saving to the internal drive. Unfortunately there is an issue with flash drives in Illustrator https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Is the file size resonable? Or is it very small?

Since this goes from Mac to PC: Are you opening the correct files? Mac OS saves some extra files for internal purposes.

Does the PC support the file system on that thumb driv

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving directly to those flash drives or do you move the files there after saving to the internal drive. Unfortunately there is an issue with flash drives in Illustrator https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Is the file size resonable? Or is it very small?

Since this goes from Mac to PC: Are you opening the correct files? Mac OS saves some extra files for internal purposes.

Does the PC support the file system on that thumb drive?

Can you try and first copy the files to the PC then open them?

Do those files still open in Arobat? This would give you the opportunity to at least get something from your file. It's not fully editable and might be a complete mess, but it will still be something there after all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply. I was saving to the computer and then copying them onto the flash drives. There were three files, sizes were about 50,000 KB (basing this on files where I'd made the equivalent amount of progress). I was opening the correct files. Unfortunately I couldn't retrieve anything using other methods. When I was able to get back to the university computer, the files still had the same problem, so it wasn't a Mac to PC issue as I'd hoped. I was told that it was mostly likely the flash drives that were the problem, and that other students had had issues with flash drives in the past as well. I'm glad there is some further information about that; thank you for the link!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines