• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a way to calculate the open space on my artboard... any ideas?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a CNC company that uses illustrator to make 60x60 "boards" to cut our products out of wood. We are trying to minimize waste and need to find a way to calculate the open space on the artboard once our products are on there. Anybody know of a way to do this? I've left an example of the "boards" for reference. Any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.36.55 PM.png

TOPICS
Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

OK, I see.

Illustrator cannot calculate areas. There have been methods in recent versions and there are scripts, but that tended to fail with compound paths.

What you can use is e.g. the plugin InkQuest. It would give you this (in Overprint preview). You only need to check out the lower part of that panel. The artwork:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-16 um 20.23.35.png

The plugin:Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-16 um 20.23.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process is called nesting. You want to automize it?

Maybe this here: https://baby-universe.co.jp/en/plug-ins/cad/ainest-pro/ (it's on the expensive side)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah we've looked into some nesting programs and will probably be the route we take in the future. For now we have designers manually nest them on the artboard and I'm trying to figure out a way to calculate the open space to hold them accountable/reward them for utilizing as much space as possible. Thanks for the link anyway, haven't seen this one before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see.

Illustrator cannot calculate areas. There have been methods in recent versions and there are scripts, but that tended to fail with compound paths.

What you can use is e.g. the plugin InkQuest. It would give you this (in Overprint preview). You only need to check out the lower part of that panel. The artwork:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-16 um 20.23.35.png

The plugin:Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-16 um 20.23.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh I see, this should be very helpful, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines