• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to print large banner, illusrator says "dimensions of this page are out-of-range"

New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am looking to print a 218inch x 77.375inch banner but illustrator won't let me save it out as a PDF. Is there a solution for this? What do I do? I'm also not math savvy so please help me with the fractions/decimals.

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Talk to the printer and deliver the document in scale per their specifications. They will then resize it when printing. They are used to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to know ahead of time that your art is going to be over the pdf limit (which I think is 201inches??), but if you create a bigger than 227 x 227 artboard size in Illy, then reduce the artboard to your art size, you'll be able to save without the warning. Some apps may have an issue with the resulting pdf and reduce it on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be worth mentioning how this would be used - most large format outfits will ask for a 1/2 or 1/4 at 600dpi, if the viewing distance of said print is at a large enough distance. Your desire to export a PDF 1:1 may change based on the production requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's just that the file is on the cusp of the pdf limit - it's not like the file is unusually large.

I'm not sure why there is a pdf size limitation (201x201?) in >201 <227 created ai docs, when there isn't in "oversized" ones, why can't they have the same functionality that the >227 docs use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to be printed as a banner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Talk to the printer and deliver the document in scale per their specifications. They will then resize it when printing. They are used to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines