Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Negative Offset Path fills entire shape

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for reading,

I am trying to create a negative offset path for a lot of images with a lot of small shapes in them as well. When the shape is too small instead of not creating a path at all it just duplicated the exact shape, I then have to delete all those tiny shapes manually. Is there a way to set offset path to not create a shape if the negative shape is too small?
I attached a sample image, you can see in the main part of the red shape the grey part works fine, but some smaller bits are just filling the shape completely.

offset path.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Offset path works like it is. You might want to report this as a bug (feature request): https://illustrator.uservoice.com

But you could use it as an effect.

Depending on your workflow either:

Duplicate the objects and then apply the effect

or

in the Appearance panel create a new fill for the objects, apply a color to it and then apply Effect > Path > Offset path

You can apply more fills and then add the effect to those.

YOu can save that as a graphic style and then apply the graphic style to o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offset path works like it is. You might want to report this as a bug (feature request): https://illustrator.uservoice.com

But you could use it as an effect.

Depending on your workflow either:

Duplicate the objects and then apply the effect

or

in the Appearance panel create a new fill for the objects, apply a color to it and then apply Effect > Path > Offset path

You can apply more fills and then add the effect to those.

YOu can save that as a graphic style and then apply the graphic style to other objects (even in other files when you just load the graphic styles in the new file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, unfortunately the effect offset path has the same issue so I will report it and just hope they can do something with it in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines