• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newer versions of Illustrator think images are not embedded when opening a pdf

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing image errors when opening pdf in Illustrator?

Now that we are using Adobe Illustrator 22, once in a while it gives me an error that the embedded image is missing, when it really is not. If I open it in an older version of Illustrator, it works as I would expect it to.

Adobe said it was because the creator of the pdf should be in a newer version of Illustrator.

I think that seems kind of odd. You would think once you embed an image and save as a pdf, it would be recognized.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 22? Or 2022? Or version 26?

Which system is it?

Where are the linked images located?

Exactly how has the PDF been saved? Are the images embedded only in the PDF? Is there an AI part?

When you "open" a PDF in an earlier version of Illustrator than the one it has been created in, then that older version cannot use the embedded AI file ("Preserve Illustrator editing"), but "opens" the PDF instead. In a PDF all images are always embedded. In an AI file they are not.

You are not "opening" a PDF, you are always importing it. Unless there is an AI file embedded in the PDF. In that case you are actually opening the AI file and Illustrator disregards the fact that there even is a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was speaking of Illustrator 2022.

The pdf were created from illustrator and the images were embedded in an older version of Illustrator.

I guess I am confused by what you mean that Illustrator cannot embed an image. I do it all the time.

This only became an issue with the newer versions of Illustrator.

No one seems to understand my issue. It is unfortunate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying that Illustrator cannot embed an image.

Please describe step by step what you have done. Starting with the creation of the file, then how did you place and handle the images and exactly how did you save the file and where. And also how did you open it and what exactly is in the file now.

Screenshots will really help with understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok. Will do. Next time it happens I will post some files and screen shots here.

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines