• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No app to open eps files on windows 10 message

Enthusiast ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded a stock eps vector and with Illustrator 2023 installed, I'm getting a message in the Windows 10 file association utility that there is "no app associated with this file" on this computer and provides a link to the Microsoft store.

I opened illustrator and dragged the file icon into the program and it opened as a raster file and could not be expanded.  As a work around, I dragged the file over the Acrobat icon - it opened - and I saved as pdf and reopened in illustrator and it worked. Is there a better way? 

Thanks to those who know more than me,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An EPS file might be a raster based file. If you open it in Illustrator and it contains no vector artwork, then I would ask the stock company. Did they advertise a vector file?

The file extension association needs to be done in your system, it just means, that you haven't told your system that EPS should be opened in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @camelbreath,

I hope the suggestions shared by Monika helped resolve the trouble you were having. If not, kindly try using Adobe Bridge to manage and view all your work and share your observations.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried to re-associate EPS files to Illustrator? Easiest way is to select a file, right-click on it and select Properties. If Illustrator 2023 is not currently set as "Opens with", select Change and do it there. If for some reason, it's not listed, click More Apps and navigate to the Illustrator 2023 program file.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 6.35.55 PM.png

 

Not sure why in your situation it has become disassociated in the first place, tho.

btw: the reason dragging it to Acrobat worked is that essentially invokes Distiller to convert the EPS to PDF. This is not the same as opening it natively, so try and fix your associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines