• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No PDF Import Options dialog

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an Illustrator-made PDF in Illustrator, and I need the PDF Import Options dialog box, but the PDF just opens automatically. How do I turn on the dialog box? I also updated Illustrator today so that shouldn't be an issue.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

In order to get the PDF import options, you will need to save it as a PDF without the Illustrator editable option. Save it with a different name so you don't lose editability.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the PDF just opens, then there's an ambedded AI file in the PDF. You should be really happy about that, because importing and then editing a PDF would be a pain in the rear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there is an embedded AI file in it, I made the file in AI. I am making a printable pattern that needs to be tiled, so I need to open the PDF and get the dialog box in order to tile it correctly. If I change the scaling to "tile full pages" in the Print dialog, it does not print correctly. Nor does it if I open the PDF in Reader and print it from there. I am trying to use this method and I need the PDF Import Options dialog box to do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to get the PDF import options, you will need to save it as a PDF without the Illustrator editable option. Save it with a different name so you don't lose editability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Monika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, 

What if there is a page two and three? I can only open page one, becaase the PDF Import Options did not populate. How do I open page 2 and three of the PDF?

Thank you, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue is probably different. Please create a new thread and tell us about your system, Illustrator version and the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that is not my job to QA your product. The workaround which I believe is pertinent and did work out, was extract PDf and then open that new extracted page.

Have a great, long weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not "my product".

About 95% of participants in this forum are volunteers. Staff is marked as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, Adobe Community Professionals are paid. If you are not, please contact Adobe for shared profits. Vollunteering is for the ones who need it, not a big company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is exactly what they mentioned on the thread title. No need to open a new thread for this. Your answer is just not answering what was asked and it's answering something else.

My coworker just had the same problem with her AI and the dialog box is not showing up for her. I'll figure it out and let @Mollynog know the correct answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue as of last week, never had to save as a different file with PDF editing options changed. The same customers are sending the files the same way and now the dialogue box is not opening up with import options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Brian34476872ko8x,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand that you're experiencing issues with the PDF Import Options dialog not opening up as expected. To assist you further, it would be helpful to take a look at a sample file exhibiting this behavior.

Would you mind sharing a sample PDF file that you are having trouble with? You can upload it to a cloud service like Google Drive or Dropbox and provide the download link. This will allow me to analyze the file and provide more accurate guidance on resolving the issue.

Additionally, if you could provide any specific details about the PDF files or the scenarios when the dialog doesn't appear, it would help in understanding the problem better.

Looking forward to your response.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul, One of the files opens with the options, one does not. I made the file names to let you know what ones are doing what. I am using 27.2 but did the same thing with the 3 previous versions of 27.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XdoVdJsnXF-w67iL7Q5KM5-UyTusBw0C/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JIX1oc26NkkMm_lvMG16Ig8Oc97ZWurW/view?usp=drive_link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are locked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

For both of them the box does not open for me.

Both have been saved with "AI editability" - then the PDF import options will not show.

There is one other option: The file has been saved in a higher version than you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but this was not a problem before last week, I could open any PDF and the option box would pop up. Is this new in 27? I was using 26 before I had to reinstall windows.

Also one of them opens with the options and one does not which does not make any sense to me if they are both saved with edits enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then there is the third option: one of the files has gone corrupt. Either while saving or while being transferred to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines