• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

one illustrator file i can't open but others can, and i created it originally

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an illustrator file that i can't open but others on my team can. I can open other illlutrator files so it seems specific to this file. I had them resave and I can't open that one either. I created this doc originally, was just opening to make edits, so at one time I could open it. I have the fonts etc. I cannot open the .ai file or the .pdf in illustrator that I created last time I saved. Not sure what the fix is. I get endless beachball, application is not responding etc. I have restarted. I can open other illustrator files so it seems to just be this one right now.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already reboot the computer?

Is the file on your local harddrive? If not, copy it there and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, on my hard drive. yes, i've rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running the same version of Illustrator as your team? Does your team  have any custom plugins like Esko UPC codes that you might not have installed?

PREFS  RESET MAC (thorough method)

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 27 to Adobe Illustrator 27old

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have to ask if they have the same version of illustrator that I have. I am running Adobe Illustrator 2022 26.0.3

I did as you suggested,  renaming prefs (26 not 27), and it didn't fix anything. same problem.

I don't think i have an custom plugins, i'll see if there's any installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no plugins other than extensis UTC which we all have always had.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: deleted all the prefs and cache files, still wouldn't open. re-installed all my adobe CS apps and it still doesn't open. at this point i give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the other people save this file under a different name, can you then open it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

someone made edits on it and saved it and i was able to open that. the edits were all proofreader edits, nothing major, but they did save it with a new name. so maybe that was it? don't know why that would affect anything but who knows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh, someone did name it something different, they knocked all the type to outline and called it whatever_outline.ai and i couldn't open that either (i was thinking it might be a font). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines