• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

open an .AI file, CS6 or CC shows 'open a PDF'? Why?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me why when I open an .AI file, CS6 or CC shows 'open a PDF'? And why the artboards of my .AI file are now PAGES of a PDF file that I can only open ONE by ONE? Where is the logic in all that?

I want to see all my artboards at once the way I used to.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Illustrator forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would normally indicate something wrong with your AI file; i.e. it is no longer recognised as an AI file. Does it happen with all files or just one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have version CS6 and CC?

What you are seeing indicates that the file is newer than your version. Or got corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have both in different computers. So all my files are corrupted? Dont think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also happens when I open the file in CC (newest version I have).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said the file is in OneDrive. Did you save it there directly?

Does this still happen when you first move the file out of OneDrive and then open it?

Unfortunately saving to networks might cause issues and unfortunately the same is true for some synchronized drives such as OneDrive, Googe Drive and I think people have also reported this for also Apple's thingy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jaume254124378536,

Sorry for the trouble. Would you mind sharing the information along with the one asked above by Monika & Doug like:

• The exact version of Ai in which the file was created and the version installed on your machine?
  • Would you mind sharing the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. We'll check at our end.

Also, would you mind confirming where this file is saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact version of Ai in which the file was created and the version installed on your machine? Would you mind sharing the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. We'll check at our end.

I don’t really use the cloud and I dont know how to use it, so I can send you the file.

I have no idea in which version it was created. May be in CC (which I also have in another PC).

Also, would you mind confirming where this file is saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

This file is saved in Microsoft OneDrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus if I choose to open all the pages in my 'pdf' (it is an .ai file), the file opens and my filename has been changed to 'untitled'. I am seriously thinking of moving to Corel or some other software. I used to know how to work in Illustrator, but this is insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it happens with all files? Or just those in OneDrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Jaume254124378536,

Thanks for sharing the details. As suggested by Monika above, try moving or downloading the file from onedrive to the Desktop, and then try opening the file from there in Illustrator.

Would you mind sharing the download link to a file with us from onedrive?

Also, would you mind sharing a screenshot of where you are seeing "open a PDF"?

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t really use the cloud and I dont know how to use it, so I can send you the file.

By @Jaume254124378536

OneDrive is a Cloud service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines