Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Sans Condensed Bold doesn't work

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The Open Sans condensed bold font cannot be used. It can be activated, but it will not appear in the Illustrator menu like the 12 other fonts in the font family. When I look at the CC active fonts window, it reads like this:
Open Sans Condensed (3)
- Condensed light
- Condensed Light Italic
- Bold

I wonder if the problem can be caused by the fact that the word "Condensed" is missing from the last paragraph. Without the term "Condensed", the font family contains two fonts with the same name.

What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can activate the font from Adobe fonts, but it is also possible to download the font from Google fonts. Do you have them installed twice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this is definitely a problem and it's probably because the font name is missing the word Condensed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carina,

I just discovered that activating Open Sans Condensed Bold creates a category called Open Sans Condensed (above Open Sans) where you will find the Bold version of Condensed font family as shown in the screen snapshot!

This is obviously an inconsistent error, perhaps stemming from the source at Google Fonts.

Respectfully,

Bill Carberry

Adobe Certified Instructor

aci4hire.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had quite a few headaches using fonts downloaded from the Google Fonts web site. They do tend to work better in Adobe's applications, but have more serious issues in other rival graphics software. Sometimes I can go back to the Google Fonts site and download a newer, updated copy of a type family and it may work properly. Other times I have to use a different application that will load the affected typeface properly. Google's fonts team really needs to do a serious, deep technical audit and some application testing with the fonts in their collection. If I was having these kinds of technical issues with a commercial typeface I had purchased I would be demading a refund.

Regarding Open Sans, I had a copy that didn't work properly. But when I synced Open Sans via Adobe Fonts it did work. This is different from the issue of the Condensed version being loaded in Illustrator in a different family listing than the normal width versions of Open Sans.

One alternative you can try is downloading the OTF Variable version of Open Sans from the Google Fonts site. It has three axes: weight, width and an upright/italic toggle. I'm having better luck with that one in the graphics applications I use (including Illustrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines