• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Freehand 8 Files

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion pops up every so often, but I don't see any recent posts regarding what I'm trying to do, so hopefully it's an okay time to update this sort of info, if anyone can help.

Without getting into the use of third party software, can anyone confirm a chain of versions and appropriate/compatible Mac OS's that can get me from Freehand 8 files to the current CC Illustrator?
I have a few (very) old Mac's, and I think the old versions of Freehand/Illustrator are available (on eBay, etc). I'd be willing to buy what I need to convert from one version to the next until I'm current. 
So, I need to know, for example, the last software that opened Freehand 8 files, and what it ran on. And on from there...
Alternatively, perhaps there's someone out there doing these conversions as a paid sevice?
Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there's the Tensai plugin:

https://www.tensai.co.uk/ai/plugins.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info and quick reply. I may end up going that route.

However, I was wondering about getting this done without the third party plug in, as I have heard mixed reviews.

For example, from User1 on this forum, from Jan 2020:

"I originally used Tensai AI Plugins to convert my files. It's a hit and miss situation. Some of the .fh9 files were too old or complex to convert. My best solution was found in my old macs lying in my garage, luckily It hadn't been updated since 0S9."
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/336...

Are there any updates on success (or failure) with Tensai?
Also, I'd still like to hear if anyone can confirm which versions I'd need to convert up to current, or if anyone is doing these types of conversions.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About how many FreeHand files are you talking?

If the number is not too great, I may do the conversion for you without charging (I would – of course– appreciate if you were willing to donate to a children's hospice).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the generous offer, Kurt.

I have about 70-75 files in total, each formated to fit an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper, if that gives you a sense of the size of the project. They are not large file sizes.

I think they are "simple" files, but I can't say for sure. For some of them I had imported some graphics and used fonts from music notation software. I vaguely remember those being a little fussy to work with, but maybe not. 

If that number (70-75) is high:
Perhaps I could send a couple to see how they transfer?
I might consider trying Tensai, and perhaps taking you up on your offer if just a few files don't convert well?
Certainly some payment or donation sounds fair.

I'd be happy to hear whatever you're comfortable with.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally have thousands of old designs I have been trying to find ways to convert for years. Most of my files are fh8 or fh11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tensai plugin might be worth it.

The tensai people are also offering file conversion services (not for free of course).

And then with version 8 and higher you can try using Scribus for coversion. It's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I saw your response to the OP that you do FH8 conversions to Ai. I have a small number (under 12) FH8 files I am trying to convert to AI (CC 2022). This is to preserve my sewing mentor's work. 

I'm happy to pay or donate to a children's hospice of your choice. 

I hope to hear from you,

Leah Boyan

A Way We Sew

www.awaywesew.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leah,

Please send me a private message. 12 or some more files are ok.

If you prefer to provide the files to all participants in this forum, you may do that as well as I'm sure that someone else may be willing to do the conversion as well.

As for me, I won't charge in that case. A donation to a hospice would still be welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leah,

I've sent you a private message with a download link to a folder that contains the converted FreeHand 8 files.

Some notes:

- The file format of the converted FreeHand files is Illustrator 2020 (pdf-compatible).

- Due to some serious font conflicts I decided to change all type objects to Myriad Pro Regular. That is, some typographic fine-tuning adjustments are required.

- Some of the files contain overset type on a path objects which were used to "draw" some kind of patterns. You will have to check them and decide if some modifications are required.

- In some of the Illustrator files there are so-called "Unnamed Patterns". You can create regular pattern swatches out of them by selecting them and clicking on the "New Swatch" button in the Swatches palette.

- In some files there were missing linked files. They are discarded now, but as far as I can see they were not important for the drawings and instructions (probably just some logo files).

As always (or most of the time): The conversion is not perfect, but I think almost all relevant objects and descriptions are intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kurt,

Thank you so much for your help and detailed notes. Your act of kindness renewed my faith in what humans do best: share knowledge. 
My sewing mentor, Judy, has Parkinson’s and while she was ahead of her time (she owned the url www.uniquetechniques.com), she’s not been able to properly preserve and document her many contributions to the sewing community. Your efforts here will go a long way toward helping me continue to share her knowledge and her truly unique techniques. 
One of my favorite Judy quotes:
“If you’re goal is perfection, you won’t have any fun”. 

Warm regards, 
Leah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, feel free to send me a couple of sample FreeHand files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note: AFI has never sent me some sample FreeHand files in this context.

Reliably converting thousands of files is a different thing, of course. And it will not be something that can be done for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines