Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening multiple page PDF loses file name and path

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

At work we have a lot of files that have multiple pages in a single PDF document. And when opening them in Illustrator, we loose the file name (file becomes "Untitled") and actual path to where it is/should be saved.

So when we edit the files and then try to save it, we have to go and search for a directory to save it in a correct location. It is quite time consuming and there is also a possibility to save the file in the wrong location.

I haven't found a solution for this yet, so can anyone help me out how to obtain the correct file name so that it doesn't become "Untitled".

Thank You

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are they located?

Works as expected for me, the only time I get an Untitled document is when I import the pages as Links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are located on a server. 

Even when I deselect "import PDF pages as links" when selecting page range all, I get an Untitled file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you move them to your desktop and open them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still Untitled 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I would suggest to contact Adobe Support:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate the issue, do you need to edit more than one page?

opening only one page keeps that page liked to the source file.

how are you opening the files? are you on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Carlos, I tried a single page without problem, but multiple pages open as untitled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I need to edit every page ususally. We are on windows yes, and we are opening PDF files with Illustrator (right click , open with AI).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I would

- Ctrl+L to select the folder path on the address bar

- Ctrl+C to copy the path

- Tab (3x) to get back to the file or click to open the file as usual

- then I would paste the folder path when I get the Save Dialog

- press Enter to get to that folder

- find the file and click on it to get the save file name

it's not super easy but it beats navigating to find the file location

Perhaps opening the file and saving the full file path could be scripted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the way we are working now. I would like a solution to get rid of these steps.

We have found out that some files can be opened with the file name intact (which also preserves the path), but we are not sure what the difference is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found out something. If the actual file with multiple artboard is saved as a PDF, there is no problem opening it because it keeps the file name and path.

If another program or workflow (as it is in our case at work) rewrites/exports this file then the pop up with "PDF Import option" appears where you can select which page to open or if you want to open them as links or not. If this file is again saved in Illustrator as PDF, then it can also be opened normally.

Is there any workaround here. Apparently it loses some metadata when it is exported I guess?

Btw thanks for everyone who pitched in 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what you posted I did a small test.

If you save a PDF with "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" then it opens and saves normally. This makes sense since you're actually opening the Illustrator file not the PDF

If you don't include Illustrator Editing (which is the case of every other PDF not made with illustrator) then you get the "Import" pdf dialog. This options creates a brand new file not connected to the original pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup that is it. I imagine there is nothing to do to open a file with illustrator editiing capabilities if the file isnt saved so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid so, if the pdf file is created outside of illustrator probably there aren't any options.

let's try this, I wrote a script to open the pdf file and save the file name on the clipboard to paste it at save time. That way the untitled pdf file will be saved with the right name in the right folder regardless of what folder you get when you do a Save As. The script also creates a layer with the full path to the pdf in case you have to override the clipboard when you edit your pdf. You can delete that layer if you want, or I can have the script delete the layer as well.

to use, save the attached vbscript anywhere, let's say your desktop, then drag and drop a pdf into it. 

before using, remove the "txt" extension so it goes from "openMultiPagePDF.vbs.txt" to "openMultiPagePDF.vbs"

it goes without saying that this vbscript is Windows only, sorry mac friends.

let me know how it goes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh nice thank You. But I'm not sure if I undestood correctly the drag and drop part, because nothing happens. 

Also there is no .txt extension, but it says it is a text document. Sorry I'm not familiar with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your system is setup to not show file extensions. The script extension is .vbs, but I added an extra .txt extension since the forum does not support script attachments.

change your folder properties to show extensions, so you're able to delete the .txt. Or open the file in Notepad and resave as .vbs, make sure your fie type is not text though (change file type to äll files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh right...I tried saving it as VBS before as "all files" but it didn't work, but now it did. Now I have a script file but it returns an error when I drag a file on it. Error code: 800A01AD (Active X component couldn't create "Illustrator.Application" (something like that-translated).

Once again thank You for Your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good, I'm not sure what the solution for that would be though.

try running Illustrator as Administrator, you only have to do this once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that, also tried renaming the application in the script but didn't work. Oh well, thanks a lot anyways 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it could be your antivirus, firewall, etc. try disabling all security software temporarily just to let ActiveX have vbscript talk to Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines