Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening PSD vs jpeg in illustrator?

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator to export jpegs for print. I am more experienced with AI than photoshop, especially with using artboards.

Do I need to make sure my exported jpeg is 300dpi form Photoshop before opening in Illustrator?

Would the quality be better by opening the PSD file in Illustrator - the file is big 300+ mb?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you placing this file into your layout? Does it contain transparency which would be interacting with the Illustrator artwork? Are there spot colors in the PSD file?

Please tell us about your workflow and about the artwork you are going to create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just answer your questions...

Yes, placing it into Illustrator

No transparency

No Spot colours

The artwork is for Downloadable printables, so maximum 20mb upload to shop.

I take photos of my artwork, edit in PS, 'save as' - I was making the miske of exporting.

Place into varios ratio artboard sizes in Illustrator and export from there at around 5-10mb per image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workflow doesn't make sense. At all. Illustrator isn't particularly good a resampling pixel images. Photoshop does a way better job with that.

So maybe what you want to do is batch export your file in multiple sizes. And yes, Photoshop has you covered: Batch export with Image Processor: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html

https://davistechmedia.com/how-to-batch-export-multiple-images-in-photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll check the articles

I am just much better with illustrator that photoshop. I found moving resizing artboards not easy with Photoshop. To me it's much better implemented in illustrator.

I would have thought adobe Illustrator being an industy standard program would output images of the best quality in whatever format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So an "Industry standard" application should be able to handle anything and everything? I fell better with applications that focus on one thing. Photoshop does better pixel handling. And when this is about just creating different sizes of images, then you don't even need multiple artboards in Photoshop, that's the point about batch operations. BTW: Photoshop is "industry standard" as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @hemmickreef,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/how-to-save-high-quality-images-jpegs-pngs-fr...) and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @hemmickreef I would highly suggest giving Photoshop a try for this.

"You can pound a screw in with a hammer, but a screwdriver would be more efficient." - right tool for the right project.

In Photoshop why can't you simply use Save As to convert to a jpg if you are already in Photoshop already changing the ppi settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for the replies above.

I have discovered the problem which was slightly differnt from what I thought...

'Illustrator is a vector program so the image is coming in at 72 ppi which ~triples the size'.

I have been using 'export as' in PS which outputs for web at 72 dpi. I am now using 'save as' or 'save a copy' to create a jpg at 300dpi which gives me a 30mb file and has enought detail. I then export several artboards from AI which gives me the correct quality of jpg files.

Hope this makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @hemmickreef using Illustrator to resize for proper jpg is taking the long way around from PS. Are you adding elements on the artboard in Illustrator or simply using them to create the "proper" jpg size from PS?

Have you tried using artboards in Photoshop to simplify the workflow?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/artboards.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this makes sense!

By @hemmickreef

Actually not.

I've asked some questions about your workflow yesterday. But there's never been any response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines