• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimal specs for making image trace and similar functions render faster?

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought one of the new Macbook Pros with the M1 Pro chip and 16gb of ram, but I noticed that image tracing large images (as well as similar tasks) is still as slow as ever. Should I have gotten the more expensive M1 Max chip and 32gb of ram? Would either of these specs make enough of a difference to justify the extra money, or is image trace on large images going to take time no matter what? 

Also, if you know of a PC (preferably a laptop) with specifications that can do this faster and repeatedly, without getting really hot, I'm open to suggestions.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd imagine if this is consistent across different machines, the limitation is with Illustrator, not the hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Illustrator pop up the "Ugh, this image is huge" warning before tracing? In that case, the image is just that: huge. And depending on just how huge it is, Illustrator will slow down just a bit or considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean the "this is gonna take a while" pop-up then yeah I get that when I first trace it, but when I switch between color modes it doesn't pop-up even though it still takes a while.

I know the image is huge and it will take longer than a small image, but I was wondering if having really good hardware (more RAM, better GPU/CPU, etc.) would make it render significantly faster than it is now, or if the rendering time is the same across all machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I haven't yet let my computers race against each other. The function itself has become faster over the recent versions and maybe that was also caused by the comouters I was running it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Kbesh,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with Doug. Buying M1 Max or Ultra will not make a difference.
A high-end PC with NVIDIA RTX 3090 & RTX 4090 will be slightly faster, but not by a huge margin.
As Monika said, the image trace has been constantly improved and has gotten faster in recent years, and the team will keep on enhancing it.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines