• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outlined Font and Transparent areas

Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted a font into outlines, I am attempting to make the inside areas of the letter B transparent (the the pink will show through. I thought I was good at using clipping and opacity masks, but this one has me stumped.
Also searched through the help and community and because I don't know exact terminology I am not getting much help.  Thanks
B.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

I have converted a font into outlines, I am attempting to make the inside areas of the letter B transparent
B.png

Something else is in play because when you convert the B to outlines, the result is a Compound Path, and the counters of the B are holes, whereas yours are filled with white, apparently. You shouldn't need to do anything but start over with a freshly-typed B and Convert to Outlines.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Shape Builder tool (Shift M) with the Alt key depressed on the white areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do that I get what appears to be a transparent grid (see gray area) however it goes away after I move the cursor away. Holding the Alt Key only gives me the Windows error sound. I've not used the Shape Builder tool before, not sure how it works.

B.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Alt key should give you a minus pointer and clicking the gray area should delete the fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I see now how that works.  Thank you for the tip, learned something new. John's comment below worked as there was something else going on. I deleted it and started over and now it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted a font into outlines, I am attempting to make the inside areas of the letter B transparent
B.png

Something else is in play because when you convert the B to outlines, the result is a Compound Path, and the counters of the B are holes, whereas yours are filled with white, apparently. You shouldn't need to do anything but start over with a freshly-typed B and Convert to Outlines.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted it and started over and it worked! Too much messing with it, I guess.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines