• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlay gradient issue on printing

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a file for an advertisement to be printed on a magazine with Illustrator, exported to PDF / x-1a: 2001.
Above the main image is a gradient with blend mode multiply to make the text pop. Opening the file with Adobe Acrobat displays it correctly, while if I open the file with a preview program the gradient creates problems no longer showing the image below. We also had the same problem in print.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't trust Preview with your precious PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it mean?

The Illustrator and Acrobat files are correct, but the printing file is wrong. And also if I open the file in Photoshop I see it with that gray rectangle.

Francesca Tomasi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the printing, you have to check with your service provider. Also check out: https://creativepro.com/eliminating-ydb-yucky-discolored-box-syndrome/

Preview is just not able to display PDFs correctly.

Without seeing the PDF, nobody will be able to tell you why Photoshop can't do it. Is there a Pantone color in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only PDF readers which preview reliably for print and prepress work are Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader. Apple Preview, browser PDF readers, and other readers are meant for casual use only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture on the left is open with Adobe Acrobat, and it shows how the file was supposed to be printed but in the magazine came out wrong. I'm trying to understand if it's my fault, maybe I have to rasterize the gradient before I export the PDF, or if it's the service provider's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you not ask the service provider what they did with the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Pantone, only a CMYK gradient over a jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using x-la?

Is your image rgb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using x-la?

By @Met1

Most probably because that's what the service provider specified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We'll have to wait and see, I never like to assume...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines