Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Overprint Preview

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Overprint Preview > How to set overpront Preview on an Ai file ?

S_goel_0-1664166858914.png

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're asking. As your menu shows, it's just a matter of toggling it on or off.

If you meant to ask "how do I make an object overprint", that depends on the object and the effect you want. Simple overprints are assigned in the Attributes panel (under View). You can make a fill or stroke overprint  by checking the appropriate boxes. Other methods of overprints can occur depending on a Transparency Blend mode, like Multiply.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to set it through JSX? In the question I asked above, i forgot to mention it. Apology

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @S_goel,

I posted the answer in your other post here..

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/overprint-preview/td-p/13223857

Regards,

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mikeb41294032  Thanks for the respnse but app.executeMenuCommand('ink'); is creating outline mode not the overprint preview.
Please Provide API to set Overprint Preview.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window >> Attributes.

MikeGondek_0-1664200083649.png

I though for many years prefer to use Window >> Transparency >>Multiply. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be misinformed, but Multiply and Overprint are not quite the same thing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overprint and Darken look more like the same result. Darken has the advantage that it could also be used when Overprint fails, for example when a spot color is converted to process.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 at 18.25.33.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are definitely different animals. Depends on what you want to accomplish

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are different animals, but they will create the same separations and Darken is a nicer animal that behaves better when spots are converted to process. 

Darken does not need Overprint Preview, faster preview and better support in other apps (like Apple Preview and non Adobe PDF viewers).

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 00.33.53.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want a similar result as Overprint, Darken is the way to go, but yes, Multiply can give effects that Overprint cannot, and still separate correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines