Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pantone-Colors - differences between Illustrator CC and pantone.com

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

the CMYK information for Pantone-Colors in the app and on the website are different (see example below). How can I fix this problem / which information is correct?

Adobe_Illustrator_CC.PNGPantone.com.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Adobe applications use color management to convert a Pantone ink to the closest possible CMYK equivalent.

This depends on the CMYK working space in your color settings.

Pantone just gives CMYK values which may or may not be correct for your printing process.

I would go for the Adobe color managed solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I've corrected a previous post due to a serious mistake.

The "PANTONE+ Color Bridge Coated" swatch is bundled with the Adobe application from CS6. And it was never updated afterwards.
However, "PANTONE Color Finder" has been updated.

So now there is a difference in the color percentages, but they are not right or wrong. This is because the converted conditions are different.

The PANTONE Formula Guide is original, and using it in spot colors is the correct way to use it.

"PANT

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe applications use color management to convert a Pantone ink to the closest possible CMYK equivalent.

This depends on the CMYK working space in your color settings.

Pantone just gives CMYK values which may or may not be correct for your printing process.

I would go for the Adobe color managed solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I've corrected a previous post due to a serious mistake.

The "PANTONE+ Color Bridge Coated" swatch is bundled with the Adobe application from CS6. And it was never updated afterwards.
However, "PANTONE Color Finder" has been updated.

So now there is a difference in the color percentages, but they are not right or wrong. This is because the converted conditions are different.

The PANTONE Formula Guide is original, and using it in spot colors is the correct way to use it.

"PANTONE Color Bridge Coated V4" installed fromPANTONE Color Manager has the same value as "PANTONE Color Finder".

"PANTONE+ Color Bridge Coated" should be considered the CMYK value provided in "PANTONE solid coated.acb and PANTONE solid coated.acbl" before CS5.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add further.
Prior to CS5, three swatches "PANTONE color bridge CMYK UP.acb, PANTONE color bridge CMYK EC.acb and PANTONE color bridge CMYK PC.acb" were bundled.
This is a different CMYK value from "PANTONE+ Color Bridge Coated".

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key thing is that there is NO single fixed CMYK translation of Pantone colours. So what is wrong is that you expect it. For a while, Pantone themselves stopped giving people CMYK values, which was the right decision. But their customers demanded these number back, rather than learn how colour actually works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understanding that there is no single CMYK translation, would the Pantone provided values be the "most consistent"? For example if you need to provide CMYK brand guidelines for a logo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Those Pantone values don't take into account the paper you use, the printing process or even the region you are printing in (different color profiles in Europe and the US for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to read small print on your books and or digital files. The values for process colours varies depending on printing conditions (ICC Profiles). I have two books with different conversion values the one is for Fogra39 the other says CGATS. Using LAB values and converting to your ICC may give even better results, remember that there is both document colour settings and application colour settings so there is still plenty East's to make problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just worth a mention that the new Pantone books differ from old pantone books even in the colours being mixed (But with the same Pantone Numbers)… and I'm even talking about Pantone on a specific substrate. If Pantone is note even consistent with itself how do we expect applications to be consistent. (We have two digital printers and noticed there was a variance in the colour, and when checking older and newer books we saw that the printer Pantone Libraries are consistent with the books for the same year as the release) differences can be in hue, lightness or saturation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines