Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pantone Outer Glow not Exporting as Spot Ink

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This might be a silly question but I am really stumped! I have an illustrator file that is three objects with different outer glows layered over each other, each outer glow is the same pantone spot colour. When I place the file in Indesign and export a PDF the outer glow exports as CMYK. The issue is with Illustrator because when I save the Illustrator file as a PDF it also exports as CMYK. I've selected 'no conversion' as the output in both Illustrator and Indesign but the outer glow effect is not retaining the spot colour. I can't for the life of me figure this out and I need to print a 2c poster so I need to figure out how to get the outer glow to export or save as 361C. Is it not possible to create an outer glow with a spot colour? What am I doing wrong!? (production is not my forte). See below screenshots of the file and the outer glow settings. Thanks in advance for any advice! 

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.57.32 AM.png

 

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.57.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.57.19 AM.png

  

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

I checked your Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings...

The Preserve spot colors checkbox was turned off.

Since you use a raster effect, it needs to be turned on.

That seems to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outer glow with spots should be possible.

If you check the Separations Preview panel in Illustrator, does it separate correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why, but the separations preview panel is blank and Overprint preview is greyed out

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.24.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry I just realised my doc was in RGB mode, switched it to CMYK and even though the outer glow is set to the spot colour (as you can see in the screenshot in original post) it's not showing as the spot colour in the separations preview, it is displaying as CMYK, but why!? In the outer glow settings I've selected the spot colour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the spot swatch if it has not been converted to CMYK. It should have Book Color for Color Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it does, still doesn't work. I didn't set up the file originally. I tried recreating the whole thing in a new file from scratch but even though I'm using the exact same settings for the outer glow it looks totally different, I really can't figure out what's going on! 

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 11.23.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Illustrator file (or a part of the file that shows the problem)?

CC File sharing, dropbox, WeTransfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://ramsayfairs.box.com/s/nnnxl4aq2f4g1hy1b6cne1fnkb57avv3

Let me know if that doesn't work, thank you so much!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked your Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings...

The Preserve spot colors checkbox was turned off.

Since you use a raster effect, it needs to be turned on.

That seems to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! I didn't even know that was a thing, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines