• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting in Place issue

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using the latest version of Illustrator downloadable from the Creative cloud at work, and was happily using the Paste in Place (Cmd F) shortcut to paste something from one file to another. BUT it isnt pasting in place, its putting the pasted artwork on the top corner of the artboard, rather than where my (0,0) point is.

Now I am aware that when you create a new document, that is where the (0,0) point is defaulted, but I have since re assigned the (0,0) to where I need it, and normally have no problem, and it was just fine this morning!

So I am copying some artwork from (0,0) in one file, moving to the next tab, hitting Cmd F, and its putting the centre in the top left corner of the Artboard, with the coordinates (-35,-115) or similar, rather then where my (0,0) is. Its really frustrating as I work a lot through this function and suddenly it has just stopped working!

I can't see anything in my preferences that might of changed, unless I've hit a shortcut thats done something I don't know about.

I have played with the Align options and that makes no difference.

Really hoping someone has a fix for this, even if its for some reason just these files I am copying into being weird, it would still be great to know how to fix it, in case it happens again.

have restarted Ai and then the whole Mac (Also new this year on latest Os) still being weird.

Thanks for any help!

Edit* A few Hours Later - Working on different files and its fine again, so what was it about the files I was pasting into that would cause this ^ ? The Files were originally created a few months ago at most and I was updating them with new versions, no reason I can think of as to why they wouldn't paste to coordinates correctly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command + F is paste in front. Try going to the Edit menu and choosing "Paste in Place".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the different ways of Pasting, Cmd V obviously pasted to centre of screen, Paste in place (Cmd Shift V) just seemed to paste it randomly on screen. Cmd F in all my other files also pastes in place, just this set of files it wouldn't work.

Resulted in quite a few more clicks and a higher chance something would be in the wrong place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the artboard size the exact same for both documents (pasting from and to)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I have changed the size on both to a useable size, and certainly I normally have my artboards any size no problem.

I might give the artboard settings another look ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still looking for a solution, just change "global rulers" to artboard rulers. 
Right click on the spot you are picking your "0" reference point, the spot where x and y rulers meet.
Hope this help you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything on all the boards - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Adobe needs to fix this. Sometimes if I close the file and open it again, it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I paste an image into Illustrator (for example, from a screenshot taken using Snagit), the image always goes to the top left corner of the canvas, miles away from the artboard. I tried Paste, Paste in place, Paste in front, Paste in Back, Paste in all artboards. Illustrator has only been reaping in money for 35 years now, I guess in a century or two they will have gotten their act together...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines