Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting Text within AI mantaining style

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

in AI 2023 is there a way (and shortcut) to paste text from a paragrah A to a paragraph B without A being reformatted with the B style?

New feature disabled the previous one, which is handful to recall in certain layouts. Otherwise it is necessary to set/eyedrop the style manually it from other text bothes. Both time-wasting..

Been searching, but to no avail so far.

Thanks

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Yes, that's why I was aksing if you possible use the wrong shortcut.

So maybe you need to reboot your system or even resrt the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Glad you could solve it.

Preferences can just get corrupt from time to time. Although if this happens often, then you should maybe check your system and hardware for more general issues.

After setting up preferences it is a good pratice to make a copy of the folder in a dry and safe place so you can get back to work more easily in cases like this by just replacing the corrupt preefs with your copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe the steps in detail? Exactly how do you click exactly where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

simply selecting a text line (eg. font A) and pasting to another text box (eg. font B), it gets formatted like the second box. Previous ly it used to work fine (i.e. font A was font A even when pasted accross multiple tex boxes, including type size and all).

I'm not saying this new feature isn't useful, I'm just trying to achieve both results depending on single needs.
Here you may find a screenshot, where the first line has been pasted onto the first line of the paragraph below (as you can see the style has changed to the same "destination" style).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that before posting and I can paste into a different text in a different document and the style is preserved. So please tell us step by step what exactly you are doing.

You are not using the wrong shortcut by accident? The "Paste without formatting"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the flyout menus for the styles and appearance palettes? Sounds like a stored default is applied because you set the options there accordingly.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything fine.
By reading your comments therefore, are you saying that this shouldn't happen? And you've never faced it?
Mmmm.. mumble mumble..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the flyout menus for the styles and appearance palettes? Sounds like a stored default is applied because you set the options there accordingly.

Mylenium

By @Mylenium

Appearance panel settings do not apply to the text formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically it is the opposite of "paste without formatting".

I need to copy and paste a line text mantaining the exact aspect.
Instead it keeps reformatting; precisely like the "paste without formatting" command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's why I was aksing if you possible use the wrong shortcut.

So maybe you need to reboot your system or even resrt the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a shortcut issue, I would have known.

Anyhow so you confirm it is not working properly and that if I cmd+C cmd+V a specific line of text, it should keep its aspect (font, size, color, ...) even if pasted elsewhere in other pieces of text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least that's what it does for me.

Another thing: there could be some third party software interfering with your clipboard content. The browser Chrome is famous for this. But clipboard "enhancers" also can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences solved it!

I had to reset everything though cause if I save/import the previous Ai settings, the issue keeps coming up.

Thanks anyway. This thing drove me crazy 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you could solve it.

Preferences can just get corrupt from time to time. Although if this happens often, then you should maybe check your system and hardware for more general issues.

After setting up preferences it is a good pratice to make a copy of the folder in a dry and safe place so you can get back to work more easily in cases like this by just replacing the corrupt preefs with your copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines