• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path and anchor points disappearing when I move a point with the direct selection tool

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I accidentally pressed a keyboard shortcut or something and now when I move an anchor point or a handle with the direct selection tool, all the anchor points and the path that isn't directly on each side of the point I am moving disappear until I let go of the mouse button. I am used to seeing the path and points of an object the entire time while adjusting an anchor point. I have looked through the keyboard shortcuts and I can't find anything that would seem to fix this. I have already tried restarting Illustrator and that didn't help.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Advocate , Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Go to the View menu. Select "Show Edges"?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Try turning off Real-Time Drawing and Editing in Performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

A fogotten "ctrl+ H" / "cmd+H"?  I've fooled myself with that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

"ctrl+U/ cmd+U" is what makes them appear and disappear. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the View menu. Select "Show Edges"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried that. The path is visible when I select the path or a point. But then the path and all other points disappear except for the two points directly to each side of the selected point and the section of path connecting those points. The path and all points become visible again when I release the mouse button.

For example: If I select the top point of a pentagon and I drag that point, only the top point and the point to the left and the right are visible with their connecting paths. The bottom two points disappear and so does the bottom 3 paths. (I hope that was understandable.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! All my paths disappeared on my design and this just saved me!:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this fixed my problem at least. I forget where these settings are sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! Now I can see the anchor points and Direction Lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting my preferences and it did not help. I am still having the same problem. Is there anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the solution? I recently upgraded Illustrator and have the same problem of the anchor points disappearing when I begin to move an object. This is a problem because I can't line objects up perfectly since I don't know where the exact middle is. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution to this? I have the same problem and Show Edges does not help since the Anchor Points are visible until selected and moved, which is when they dispappear. That applies for all Anchor Points in the Artwork, not only the selected ones.

This occurs in the latest version 24.2.3 and I actually still have 23.1.1 on my Mac and when I open the same file in that version, the Anchor Points are visible when moved with the direct selection tool. Bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roger,

Can you record and post a short video that shows the behaviour in Illustrator 23.1.1 (the "correct" behaviour as per your description)?

I'm asking because as long as I can remember Illustrator's standard or normal behaviour was to just show the anchor point that was moved and the two adjacent points (the supposed "wrong" behaviour).

Are you using a mouse or some other input device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off Real-Time Drawing and Editing in Performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Turning off Real-Time Drawing fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this immediately relieved my headaches, many thanks!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, thank you.  That solved it for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, where can I find this setting in ipad adobe illustrator?

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love you, this fixed the issue. I wasn't seeing the shapes lines when I moved the anchor points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much kind Sir. This nuisance started a few upgrades ago and has been driving me nuts from day one.

I have to question what’s going on over at Adobe.

Having your anchor points disappear while moving an object makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That’s always been the best way to visually line objects up.

Then you can add in “upgrades” like automatically saving to the cloud, (which is forbidden in my Company). And then there’s losing half my fonts that Adobe is no longer supporting, many of which have no replacement and are standard fonts used constantly. Then we can talk about losing the Pantone libraries, but that one’s on Pantone.

Anyway, I haven’t seen a solid, useful upgrade in a long time. I consider everything listed here as a “DOWNGRADE”. Sorry Adobe. My first version of AI was around 1993, version 5.5 and I’ve been loyal ever since. In all that time, I’ve never seen so many awful, anti-productive changes ever. Shame on you guys. Don’t forget who your target audience is. Everything you’ve lately has been a negative, I’m sure, for all of us.

Sorry for venting. Thanks again Ko Custom. You literally made my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much kind Sir. This nuisance started a few upgrades ago and has been driving me nuts from day one.

By @rayt30970971

Time to read the New Feature Notes when updating the software. The very reason of updates is bringing new features.

This feature has been asked for by people so that they can see the design they're creating without being irritated by anchor points. A considerable amount of people have been asking for it. Not everyone is working in the same way as you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika. I’m sorry for the extra response. An associate of mine just pointed out that these missing anchors are not a new feature. You were always able to do that a couple of different ways.

The difference with it now, it’s become a default and cmd H doesn’t work to make the anchor points reappear.

Again, I appreciate the feedback, but it the end this really isn’t a new “feature” at all.

All my best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fogotten "ctrl+ H" / "cmd+H"?  I've fooled myself with that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences, Performance then uncheck Real-Time Drawing and Editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines