• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pathfinder Merging Issue

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am new to Adobe Illustrator and am having problems merging an image I am working on. I select my work, expand appearance and then attempt to merge the selected area, but every time I click merge, most of my work disappears. I am not sure why. I have used merge before and this has never happened. Here is a picture to show what is happening.merging is deleting most of my line workmerging is deleting most of my line work

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the original outlines nobody can tell you the exact cause, but it seems to me you have a general misunderstanding here. It may not at all be necessary nor mathematically logical to merge your areas. Judging from the scattered remnants it is more likely that your appearance can only be retained with compound paths. Other than that of course any number of issues can make merging paths and areas go kaboom, from invalid open paths to self-intersections to overlapping vertices to leftovers from previous operations that would need cleaning up....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the original picture, before I merge it. What I am trying to do is isolate each area, so that I can color each individual closed-off section. Let me know if this helps. Thanks for the response by the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capto_Capture 2020-02-09_11-51-40_AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am trying to do is isolate each area, so that I can color each individual closed-off section.

You should try Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will check it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your lines are disappearing because they are strokes. You have to go to object, expand, and check the box for stroke. Then you can merge properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem and this fixed it thank you so much dud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines