Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paths and multiple item matching

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Hopefully this is an easy answer, and apologies for the completely simplistic question, as I wasn't even sure how to word this...(very new to Illustrator).

I am drawing out a shape, and within that shape there is an area that would be a different colour.  On 3 parts of the path, they will match, with a 4th line being inside the larger (the below pics may make this clearer)

So my question is, is there a way to get Illustrator to follow exactly the curve of the first path, or is it a completely 'by eye' job?

As you can see, when I draw the narrower section, when over the larger section, the curves at either end don't precicely match.  How do I fix this I guess is the question.

Thanks for your help, and patience 🙂

Barry

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 11.29.52.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

I would recommend using either the Pathfinder or a Clipping Mask. 

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.20.16.png

Edit: alt-clicking the button in the Pathfinder Panel maintains the separate Paths. 

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.22.16.pngScreenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.22.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using either the Pathfinder or a Clipping Mask. 

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.20.16.png

Edit: alt-clicking the button in the Pathfinder Panel maintains the separate Paths. 

Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.22.16.pngScreenshot 2022-03-30 at 13.22.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, this did exactly what I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the rigth end of your secondary part is near straight while main part you want to march or git in it seems more curved, more pronouned.

i think the easy and sure way to deal with it, is to duplicate and place on thr top line (select it with the direct selecion tool, A) then displce it downwards, select the path and the Main part and use the Pathfinder: Divide. If uou press +Alt when selecting Divide you can readjut it anytime later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines