• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pattern extends past shape in illustrator

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to fill a shape with a pattern and then engrave it using my Glowforge. Once I place my pattern into my shape by using the "fill" option, I then have to click Object> Expand > Fill in order for my Glowforge to recognize the pattern. The only problem is when I upload it to my laser printer, the pattern extends past the shape. The pattern even extends past the shape in Illustrator if I place my cursor around the shape edge. Is there a way to have the pattern fit only to the shape? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Are you saying that the pattern outside your clipping mask is printing?

You say "The pattern even extends past the shape in Illustrator if I place my cursor around the shape edge" - yes, the clipping mask is a non-destructive way to isolate your object. You can edit both in the future. If you isolate your object in a destructive way, you will not be able to edit the parts you erased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess your Glowforge is some kind of laser cutting system or something similar.

In that case you would have to edit the expanded pattern fill with some Pathfinder operations or the Shape Builder tool, such that it is a real cropped area and not just a clipped area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines