• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pattern wont drag into swatches palette

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I downloaded illustrator a week ago, I'm a new learner.  I'm selecting my pattern and dragging into the palette section to save it as a swatch.  I've done this before but now it's not working.  I'm not dragging to a swatches folder, I have checked there is only one layer.  It goes blue in the swatches panel and then nothing happens when I release my mouse. I've tried on a different board but still no luck.  Any help would be really appreciated thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

I was suspecting something like this. You need to find the pattern you used inyour pattern design.

Maybe you can find that element by filtering your swatches panel to patterns only.

Sometimes patterns look like color swatches, if you have dragged a square rectangle filled with a color to the Swatches panel, it becomes a pattern but looks like a color swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

When you have found the offending pattern element, you could drag it from the swatches panel to your artboard and use it in your new pattern design.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you select it and choose: Object > Pattern > Make... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, sorry for the delay I'm in UK, it was late when I put the post out.  Great question, when I try that I get a message saying 'Patterns cannot contain anything painted with a pattern'.   So I'm wondering if this is becuase I used an element in my design in another pattern?    So then if this is the case, does this mean I have to start over again with creating the element in my design (I can't save it and use it in other patterns)?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was suspecting something like this. You need to find the pattern you used inyour pattern design.

Maybe you can find that element by filtering your swatches panel to patterns only.

Sometimes patterns look like color swatches, if you have dragged a square rectangle filled with a color to the Swatches panel, it becomes a pattern but looks like a color swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have found the offending pattern element, you could drag it from the swatches panel to your artboard and use it in your new pattern design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you I have dragged it back onto the board and am able to re do the pattern from there!  Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you've got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines