Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF keep layer structure when importing into illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, 

I posted this already in the adobe Pdf reader forum, but maybe its more of an ''illustrator reading'' issue

I exported (published) a PDF from Archicad, opened it in adobe acrobat and have acces to the layers structure. (I tried to export a DWG or DXF, but still the issue is the same)

ACa_0-1642721583515.jpeg

Although, When I import (place) this in Illustrator, the layer structure isn't maintained....

I've seen many post but can't find the answer.

Help would be greatly appreciated 

ACa_2-1642721583360.png

Regards, 

-Charles C.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I've replied myself with this post (request to illustrator developopers) ...

Although this been at least 3 years I'm waiting for this feature or a efficient workaround....

Appreciate your consideration, 

Regards, 

-CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat "layers" are different from Illustrator layers.

Acrobat "layers" are Optional Content Groups and are ways to view the content of your file by showing and hiding content.

An Acrobat "layer" can contain an object that is also visible in another "layer". 

In Illustrator an object can only be in a single layer (unless you make a duplicate, but then it is not the same item).

Because in Acrobat these are views, instead of layers, they cannot be translated into layers as they are used in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because in Acrobat these are views, instead of layers, they cannot be translated into layers as they are used in Illustrator.

By @Ton Frederiks

True.

But Serif managed to somehow translate PDF layers to Affinity Designer layers. And Illustrator engineers should be able to do the same. I trust that they can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they can, but it will be difficult to have a single object occur in multiple layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But that may be more the exception than the rule.

It would be nice if the "layers" from these CAD pdfs would be converted in AI layers (and unnessecary  clipping mask removed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines