• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo file deleted after saving in .svg format

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Illustrator, so I feel like I'm missing something really basic here, or doing something in a way that is not kosher.

I want to combine vector files with a photo overlay in an svg I will then save, so I copy and paste the photo into the .ai file, it shows up in my layer, all is well. At this point, I embed the photo. I then "Export">"Export As", and choose SVG, using Artboards. I select "Presentation Attributes", "Convert to Outlines" (moot), "Embed", Minimal, 2, Minify, Responsive, then click OK. Every time, the photo file is then deleted from my hard drive. After a few moments, AI will ask me to replace the file (or if I save the .ai file and re-open it). What am I doing wrong that the photo files are being deleted from my hard drive?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Dont forget to report it here (with a link to this post):

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

It will bring it to the attention of Adobe Illustrator engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without actual system info and details like where you are saving nobody can really tell you much, but on a hunch I'd say it's perhaps that old gag of using the same file name, but without a file type extension on a Mac? Just guessing here, but perhaps that's the simple answer to your conundrum. Anything more will require some technical information.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! The photo file is on a network drive, and I'm saving the SVG to a different subfolder on that drive. All of the files are in the same folder for the project, though, just in different subfolders. Let me know exactly what details you need about where I am saving. I'm not using a Mac, unfortunately. Using different file names. I tried dragging and dropping the photo onto the .ai artboard, as well as copying and pasting--both delete the "linked" photo's file after exporting to .svg.

It's almost like because I'm embedding the photo in the .svg file, Illustrator removes it. There's something going on that I just don't understand with .svg exports, I think.

Here's my system info:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving your svg file into the same folder hierarchy on the network drive? I believe all files associated with the svg should be within the same folder and not put in a different sub folder location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this and the file was still deleted (and with a two-monitor setup, I can actually watch it disappear as the .svg is exported). Here's the exact example of what happens (same settings for SVG "Export As" as above):

Open .ai file from P:>Testimonial>OnlineProfiles>FeatureImages, copy and paste image file (EXAMPLE.jpg) from file on the network drive P:>Testimonial>OnlineProfiles>ProfileImages. Edit as necessary for size, then click "Embed' in AI while the photo is selected. Select "Export As" and save the .ai file as .svg, this time to P:>Testimonial>OnlineProfiles>ProfileImages (same folder where EXAMPLE.jpg is located). After successful export, EXAMPLE.jpg is gone.

At least it's consistent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn. I am on a Mac and mimicked your steps and cannot find the same issue happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much, kind stranger, for helping me by testing it out on your rig! I will try starting from scratch with a new .ai file and seeing if it still does it, and I'll let you know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TL;DR: W/ brand new .ai file and everything the same as above, file disappeared again. Did not disappear when exporting as .jpg. Not sure what to do.

Created new file, in this case a template "Web, Common 1366 x 768 px" for expediency.

Did exact steps as above with adding photo to new .ai document.

Exported as .svg with same settings as above.

.jpg file still vanishes.

I even tried it without clicking to "Embed" the photo. Same result, .jpg vanishes.

For giggles, I exported as a .jpg. The file did not disappear. So there is definitely something strange going on with my settings for exporting .svg files, or I am just missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share screen shots of your SVG options when saving/exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Saving .ai file:

Exporting .svg: (On the previous menu to this, I selected "SVG" from the dropdown and checked "Use Artboards".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your images embedded in the file before you export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click the "Embed" button. Here's a screenshot of the .ai file with the photo selected--because it shows "umembed", I assume they are still embedded (I did click Embed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to confirm that this has also been happening to me, and I have come to pretty much the same conclusion, for the moment. It seems like Illustrator deletes the original .png image file that was used to place the image in the document. Only when exporting to SVG, only when the Embed option is selected. I am on a Mac, running High Sierra, saving to a DropBox folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have still not found a solution. My workaround for now is to quickly make a copy of the photo asset in the folder and add that copy to my Illustrator file. When it's deleted, it doesn't matter.

I'll return if I figure it out or if this is solved in an update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sedagive​, here's where I commented on the feedback forums: Export as SVG: linked image gets deleted – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont forget to report it here (with a link to this post):

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

It will bring it to the attention of Adobe Illustrator engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton, will do, thank you!

Yes, Dave, it seems to be a very rare issue--which is what makes me still think I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to replicate your problem.  I haven't had issues as of yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the exact same issue on Windows; and on MacOS the background image that's an image linked is never exported to SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, I am having the same issue, I created a clipping mask in illustrator with a background png image and a vector file, and converted to svg, everything worked well, but when I delete the original background image or move the converted svg to a different location the backgroung image in the svg simply disappears, and if I share the svg file with someone the same issue occurs in their system, seems like changing the path of the background image created the issue.

This means I cannot share the converted svg with anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines