Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pinch to zoom not working

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

I've been looking for solutions in the community for the past months and I can't find anything that solves my problem.

While working on Illustrator, my pinch zoom will stop working at random periods and come back minutes or seconds later.

I am using the latest version of Illustrator (2023, 27.2), on an MacBook Air M1 2020, which is also running the latest version of MacOS Ventura 13.0.1.

Things I've tested: If I simply switch apps, my pinch-to-zoom works on any other software; If I keep trying it eventually works again; Quitting and reopening illustrator doesn't necessarily solve the issue. It kinda does it on its own time.

Other trackpad funcions such as dragging with two fingers to pan, work normally all the time.

I don't usually mess with settings but the main suggestion on the forums which is to enable GPU Acceleration and so on are all turned on. I also checked to see if any trackpad settings are wrong, but it's all normal.

I honestly don't know what else to do. Can anyone help me?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Pinch to zoom is not working and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Adobe software. It's just not working. https://9to5mac.com/2023/01/15/mac-trackpad-pinch-to-zoom/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruno,

did you also try to reset the preferences of Adobe Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bruno231433874lbv,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your issue with pinch-to-zoom not working in Illustrator on your MacBook Air M1. We understand that this problem can be frustrating, especially when you have tried different troubleshooting methods and none have resolved the issue.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems that the issue is specific to your Mac and not related to your trackpad settings or Illustrator. It is possible that a third-party app or process is interfering with the pinch-to-zoom function in Illustrator.

If resetting the preferences as suggested by gianvitulano does not work, we recommend updating Illustrator to version 27.3.1 and checking if the problem persists. If the issue still persists, we suggest running Illustrator in Safe Mode to check if the pinch-to-zoom function works properly. If it does, you can try opening the apps you usually use one by one and see when Illustrator's pinch-to-zoom function stops working to find the culprit app/ process.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is and has been a longstanding issue on MacOS across apps in Creative Cloud, since at least the beta release of MacOS 13 Ventura. If you Google it there are dozens of threads across different sites with people expressing frustration. For Illustrator specifically, the issue persists in Illustrator 24.7.1 on Ventura 13.2.1 as of 4/19/2023. It's absolutely an issue with Adobe's code, or how that code is interfacing with the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pinch to zoom is not working and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Adobe software. It's just not working. https://9to5mac.com/2023/01/15/mac-trackpad-pinch-to-zoom/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nick22983544ymsh,

I apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the pinch-to-zoom feature in Creative Cloud applications, specifically in Illustrator. It's disheartening to hear that this has been a persistent issue, and I understand the frustration it may be causing you.

As Monika said, this is not happening just with Illustrator. This is also happening with Apple's own apps, and it is an intermittent issue that is not easily reproducible. This is happening due to a conflict with third-party apps not releasing the two-finger functionality for other apps. This happens with keyboard shortcuts as well.

It seems that this issue is not isolated to our apps but could potentially be related to third-party applications or OS-level interactions.

Regardless, we want to ensure that you have a seamless user experience with our products.

As a first step, I would recommend trying to boot your Mac into safe mode and then launching Illustrator to see if the pinch-to-zoom functionality works as expected.

If the pinch to zoom works correctly in safe mode, it suggests that there might be a conflict with another application or system setting. In that case, you can try identifying and resolving any potential conflicts.

If the issue persists even in safe mode, please let us know so we can explore other potential solutions. We appreciate your patience and understanding and will do our best to help you resolve this issue.

Best,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear sir, I have a big problem suddenly my photo dose not zoom so please solve my problem as soon as possible you can 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Tonoy31970083wxh5,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the pinch-to-zoom functionality in Illustrator. I understand how important it is to have smooth navigation while working on your projects. Let's work on resolving this for you.

Before we proceed, could you please provide me with some additional information:

• Which device are you using (computer, Mac, tablet, etc.), and what is the operating system (Windows, macOS, iPadOS)?

• Which version of Illustrator are you currently using?

• Is the issue specific to Illustrator, or are you facing difficulties with pinch to zoom across other applications as well?

Once I have these details, I'll be able to provide you with more targeted troubleshooting steps to help resolve the issue.

In the meantime, you might consider trying the steps suggested above and checking if there are any updates available for your device or the Illustrator application itself.

Also, please try disabling/ enabling the zoom in or out gesture in your system settings.

Anshul_Saini_0-1693402383707.png

Looking forward to your response so we can assist you further.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a Mac, please check out that link I posted above. Someone has also written a utility so that it can be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact issue. It is really annoying and getting in the way of my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with pinch-to-zoom, @ASDively. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

• Ensure that the pinch-to-zoom gesture is enabled in your operating system's trackpad settings.

• Open Illustrator and go to Illustrator > Preferences > GPU Performance (or Edit > Preferences > GPU Performance on Windows). Toggle the "GPU Performance" setting to see if it affects pinch-to-zoom functionality.

• Check if any third-party applications or utilities are conflicting with Illustrator's trackpad functionality.

• Disable or uninstall any recently added software and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, please feel free to provide more details like OS, AI version & system specs!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines