Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pink Margins disappeared in Illustrator CC

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I accidentally pressed the print tiling tool whilst exploring Illustrator, which I have managed to hide, but now the default pink margin lines have disappeared.

I've tried the Show/Hide Guides options and opened new documents, but the pink margins have gone.

I have searched the internet and forums for answers, but have been unsuccessful so far.

I would appreciate any help as I liked having these on my pages.

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

I can confirm that I have made a complete idiot of myself as I was working in InDesign (as you suggested numerous times) and then started doing the same task in Illustrator instead and suddenly noticed that the margins were not there anymore. I think my brain must have gone to the moon or something, but it is now back. Sorry to waste everyone's time and thanks for all your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

do you mean smart guides? View > Smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

No, Smart Guides doesn't seem to work, when I turn these on I get a pink margin around the object my cursor is on, but not the page margins.

They are usually there when I open a new document, but somehow I've turned them off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit- I actually get a red margin around the objects, not pink, so this isn't the smart guides - sorry.

But turning the smart guides on/off doesn't seem to make any difference to the page margin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps View > Bounding box.

And if that is not it, then please try every option in the View menu.

And also please open the documentation via the Help menu and research all of the options so you know what they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try View > Show artboards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your suggestions, but unfortunately these ones didn't work either.

I can see the red bleed lines and I've tried all the options in the View menu, but I'll keep looking and read through some more of the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by pink margin lines. If you were talking about InDesign then that would make sense. In that program you can define page margins and the visual for that is a pink rule at a set distance from the edge of the page. But Illustrator deals in artboards and any margins to be set would be done by manually placing objects a set distance away from the edges. I've never heard of defining margins in Illustrator. The closest thing that I know of would be defining a safe video area in the Artboard Options dialog but those lines are green.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Document Setup > Bleed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi please show us a screenshot of what you not getting so we can guide you properly...Thanks.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just wondering if you are talking about a bleed setting? Were they just outside the artboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your replies. I'm not talking about the bleed as I can see that as a red line. Maybe I was just imagining the pink margins were ever there, but I don't think so!! I've now just set up guides where they were instead, so I'll just use these from now on unless I figure out what I did. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... But Illustrator doesn't have pink margins on the page (like InDesign)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that I have made a complete idiot of myself as I was working in InDesign (as you suggested numerous times) and then started doing the same task in Illustrator instead and suddenly noticed that the margins were not there anymore. I think my brain must have gone to the moon or something, but it is now back. Sorry to waste everyone's time and thanks for all your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, stuff like this actually happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Could you tell me how did you resolve this and what is the solution? @carolinef53588342 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you were experiencing the same thing as my but the pink lines that show up when you are moving objects around the art board disappeared for me...

I use them to snap multiple different objects in line on the art board etc etc.

I couldn't find much online but to just figured it out myself...

Just make sure the only "snap" options you have check on under the view menu are 'Smart Guides' and 'Snap to Point'

I had a different selection of "snap" options checked on and they disappeared for some reason...

Hope this may help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the issue I was looking for a solution for when I clicked onto this forum, and this answer gave me my solution! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try Ctrl-; (control + semi-colon)

works in CC 2020 but should be applicable for all CC releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My friend, I think I know what your problem might be. You see, I had the same problem. So, I uninstalled illustrator and then the lines came back. But after a few hours of work the lines were gone again. I accidentally pressed Ctrl + U (On windows) and they came back. I hope  that these are the lines you meant cause I feel you, they are super helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked and the pink lines are back!! @Dim5FD2 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those who are wondering what the pink lines are we talking about: They are the lines which show INTERSECT, while it snaps the object. If they disappear, press Ctrl + U (On Windows) and they appear again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you mean by the pink lines that helps you align object, check (view) and make sure to only check the snap to point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the solution in my case! Why? Because I'm trying to move around and align artboards (NOT objects) and the pink alignment lines are supposed to come on (according to this LinkedIn Learning video), but do not.

... But @bhanoe_  , why would turning everything off but the "Snap to Point" option be the solution? How is that intuitive? What am I missing in my understanding? Thank you!

#SOLVED #ARTBOARDS #PINKLINES #SMARTGUIDES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Smart Guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines