• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placement distorts original vector graphics

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering why when I use 'Place' to 'import' a files vector graphic, that illustrator distorts those graphics to be something other than the original.
The image I've uploaded shows the desired graphics as is in an .ai file.(graphics on left)
But when I use Place to import those graphics into a second .ai file(graphics on right), they(the vector shapes) get changed.
I'm using an .ai to .ai example but I first noticed this happening when I was trying to import('Place') using a .pdf file. I also tried Place with a .svg file, also the same with a .dwg file.
I all cases 'Place' distorts the vector graphics.(and not always in the same way from supported file type to file type).Placement distorts vector graphics.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error in last sentence, should read - "....In all cases...."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have View > Snap to Pixel active?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ton - That is what the issue was. Now solved.
It was just odd because I had just finished importing about 8 different layers and did not have the same issue,

yet at the same time did not, at least knowingly turn on snap to pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reason you don't join the paths into closed shapes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original vector graphics were created in Houdini, imported into Rhino, then exported(Placed) in ai.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines