Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please teach me how remove "tiny holes" after uniting a vector

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am seeking help with an issue that I can't seem to resolve via googling and youtube videos. I figure a kind soul here smarter than me can help me.

I am trying to create a cutline around a vector graphic but I am having difficulty removing the "tiny holes" after copying the original vector into a new layer > locking the original vector > selecting the copied vector > object > path > outline stroke > then unite to create a compound shape. The result ends up with all these tiny holes within the copied vector (see attached image). The larger holes are meant to be there, since they are spaces that are meant to be cut out (see attached image). Is there a way to isolate the cut shape path and bulk remove the "tiny holes"? I want to find a way to quickly remove the vast number of "tiny holes" from the united vector. Right now I have to select those "tiny holes" one by one and zoom in to remove them. I also tried to merge > unite after the initial unite but it removes the larger holes too. Please help. Any assistance is in learning how to remove "tiny holes" quicker and in mass is well appreciated.

The source of the vector being used.

https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/floral-design-wedding-invitation_4062914.htm#query=flower&positi...

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Working with the copy of the artwork, excluding the background: Not necessary to outline the stroke, as all paths are filled and unstroked.

1) Select everything and unite.

2) Ungroup

3) In the Layers panel (or with the Group Selection Tool) select the large compound path that is the main body of the artwork and release it. (Find the compound path that is the spindly stem at upper left and hide it)

4) Select the large path and hide it.

5) Select any of the remaining paths that you may wish to kee

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Nikonius,

As I (mis)understand it, working on the copy without outlining stroke, you can:

1) Select everything and Object>Path>Offset Path by a tine positive amount just enough to close all the unwanted holes, then unite; this will make the wanted holes a tiny bit smaller, but only temporarily;

2) Object>Path>Offset Path by the same tiny amount only negative; this will leavy you without the unawnted holes and restore the sizes of the wanted holes;

3) Create the cutline.

Edit: Or do as Pe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with the copy of the artwork, excluding the background: Not necessary to outline the stroke, as all paths are filled and unstroked.

1) Select everything and unite.

2) Ungroup

3) In the Layers panel (or with the Group Selection Tool) select the large compound path that is the main body of the artwork and release it. (Find the compound path that is the spindly stem at upper left and hide it)

4) Select the large path and hide it.

5) Select any of the remaining paths that you may wish to keep by shift-clicking, not dragging.

6) Go to Select menu > Inverse.

7) Delete.

8) Unhide.

9) Select All.

10) Make compound path.

As far as I know that's about as simple as it gets, but odds are good that I'm not the smartest one here!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nikonius,

As I (mis)understand it, working on the copy without outlining stroke, you can:

1) Select everything and Object>Path>Offset Path by a tine positive amount just enough to close all the unwanted holes, then unite; this will make the wanted holes a tiny bit smaller, but only temporarily;

2) Object>Path>Offset Path by the same tiny amount only negative; this will leavy you without the unawnted holes and restore the sizes of the wanted holes;

3) Create the cutline.

Edit: Or do as Peter said.

Hi Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines