• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG file is wrong size in AI

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 64px x 64px PNG created in Fireworks, and when I open or place that image in AI, it's only 16px.  I have searched online for a solution, but all I can find are tons of problems with PNG EXPORT from AI being too small.  Not "import".  The image has a resolution of 300px/inch.  If all I do is open in AI, then export back to PNG, the resulting image is 1/4 the size of the original.  Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

That is because you image has a resolution of 300PPi, Illustrator shows that resolution.

If the same pixel image had a resolution of 72 ppi it would show it larger at 64 pix.

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 22.16.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because you image has a resolution of 300PPi, Illustrator shows that resolution.

If the same pixel image had a resolution of 72 ppi it would show it larger at 64 pix.

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 22.16.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, if that is the problem. So what can I DO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Change the ppi (without resampling) in an app like Photoshop or Preview.

Or in Illustrator:

Select the image and in the Links panel note the dimensions.

Go to the Transform panel and enter those w/h dimensions in pixels (you can type the number followed by px even if that is not your current measuring unit) and make sure the constrain is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the imgage was embedded you would see the scale: 24%

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 22.22.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally since Fireworks used PNG as its native file format by adding private data to it, your files might have had vector content in it, but Illustrator can't read that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton and Monika, for the fast, accurate response.  I thought it might have something to do with the pixel density, but didn't think it through clearly, and was worried that changing that value in FW would degrade the quality of the image.  Tried it, and I can't tell the difference, and the PNG now loads into AI at the correct size.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines