Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG transparent files saving with black backgrounds

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

Well, last time I posted here I was very embarrassed.  It played out something like going to the Tech Dept for help, and they ask is the power turned on?  And you go...oh, oops!  Hopefully I'm not going to do that here again. 

I really don't understand how you can use a function in a program over and over with absolutely no problems, and then boom! One day there's a super problem.  But that is what has happened here.

I have saved my artwork to PNG transparency for a couple of years now and it works beautifully!  Now when I do it the same way I have always done it...I'm getting a black background.  I have tried so many different ways to save the file and it still shows up with a black background.  The screenshots show the process - transparent ai file, the settings I'm exporting at, and the final png file...black.

I'm really hoping this is just something stupid on my part...like "not turning on the power switch".  Can anyone please help?

Thank you so much for your time!

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Hello @Sandra5DE7,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Could you check if this is happening with other files as well? If yes, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

In Export for Screens > Formats > Format Settings [cogwheel]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add I am on the most current version of Illustrator.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing the exported PNG?

Try toggling on/off the GPU Performance preference. Also, make sure video card drivers are up to date.
image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I tried toggling off/on the GPU Performance as directed.  No change either way.  I'm not sure how to make sure my video card drivers are up to date.  But I can google and try to find that out.

The illustration is exported out of Illustrator as I showed originally.  The thumbnail of the exported PNG shows up on my desktop with a white background.  However, when opened with Preview it has a black background.  I first noticed the problem when I tried to place the transparency into Final Cut.  As I've been saying, it showed black instead of transparent.  And honestly?  I only have to look at the file in Finder (I don't even have to open it up) and as I move over each file with the mouse I can see all of my previous transparent png files now show up with black backgrounds there too.

I really do not understand how this happens.  I have not messed with any settings (they scare me), I have not done anything differently.  All I did was open up my computer today and now this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Sandra5DE7,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Could you check if this is happening with other files as well? If yes, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Note: Marking correct for visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Export for Screens > Formats > Format Settings [cogwheel]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jules32834519lu6m  schrieb:

No

Please elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines