• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pointer tool issue : icons aren't changing when selecting different tools / 2023 v27

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started using Adobe Illustrator 2023 v27. When I am selecting a different tool the icon at the pointer doesn't change witht he tool. So I can be trying to cut but the hand icon is shown instead of the normal crosshairs. The tool still works but it's hard to tell if I've switched tools properly and the hand icon is big and covering the area I am trying to cut.  I do use some plug in tools but it seems to be affectiving everything.

Can this be fixed? Is this a bug?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system?

Which plugins are installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on MacOS Monterey v12.6. I use Astute Graphics plug ins - tools like Inkscribe but it also won't switch over to the basic black selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update the Astute Graphics tools?

There has been an important upgrade shortly before MAX.

Did you reset the preferences when updating Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I updated the Astute tools before I installed the new version of Adobe 2023. I just reset the preferences and now I am trying to figure out how to reinstall my preferences and keyboard shortcuts to see if things are working properly. Now I am having trouble finding the files I need to get back my preferences and quick key commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortuts are text files stored in the preferences folder.

Rebuilding the old ones will only work when you still have the old files. Maybe in Time Machine?

Here's where they all belong https://www.vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept v26 so I ended up uninstalling the newer version (27) then reinstalled my plug-ins to v26 (deleting orphaned plug-ins as well) then started over and reinstalled Adobe (with the old preferences applied) then the reinstalled the plug-ins. Whew...so far so good. Something must have gotten messed up with the plug-ins pathways. I appreciate your quick response and assitance with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you could solve it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon. Everything worked for about an hour or so then the icons at the pointer don't switch over when I switch tools. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please contact Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines