• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PostScript Printer PPD Issue

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An issue selecting a printer PPD in Illustrator is preventing PostScript printing. The printer is a Ricoh IM C4500 with PostScript Level 3 RIP built-in. macOS Monterey with Ricoh drivers install and print correctly except from within Illustrator (26.0.1).

PPD is not selectable and Print as Bitmap is selected and deselecting does not change the setting.

AI-Print.jpg

Choosing Adobe PostScript file activates the PPD

PS-file.jpg

Illustrator is not seeing the Ricoh as a PostScript printer and I haven't figured out a workaround.

I know this is most likely a Ricoh/Monterey issue but I appreciate any suggestions.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Solving my own problem. Did a little reworking of the CUPS driver in order to activate Adobe PostScript and set it to the default. The bug is actually in the way Apple installs the CUPS driver ro the Ricoh.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update -

An office MacBook Pro with macOS 11.6 has both old (1.2) and new (3.0) versions of the Ricoh driver. Illustrator can see the PPD with 1.2 and can not see the PPD with 3.0. I think this isolates the issue to the latest Ricoh driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solving my own problem. Did a little reworking of the CUPS driver in order to activate Adobe PostScript and set it to the default. The bug is actually in the way Apple installs the CUPS driver ro the Ricoh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tsaronian,

Could you please share your solution in a bit more detail? I am having the exact same problem with a Ricoh M3002 and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps:

Use Terminal command to enable CUPS web interface
cupsctl WebInterface=yes

Go to CUPS URL for local installed printers and select Printers tab
http://localhost:631/
Username & Password are those for the computer

Choose Ricoh printer
RICOH_IM_C4500__PS_

Select Modify Printer - Then Continue
Then click on Continue again
Select RICOH IM C4500 PS (en,...)

Click on Modify Printer

Set Default Options
Change PostScript to Adobe PostScript

Click on Set Default Options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a lifesaver. I have been having to create PDFs and print from Acrobat. Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thank you. I would not have even know to enable the CUPS GUI. It works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I was able to create a searchable solution for a bug which, although simple, is 100% immobilizing to our PostScript printing. We have three large corporations to point the finger at for leaving us this issue. They should be asshamed at their lack of response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines