Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Precise moving Objects from point A to point B

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I sometimes miss a feature that allows me to precisely move anything (object, group, single points etc.) from one point to another one.

I would think of something like used in Rhino 3D: Select the objects you want to move, then click on the reference point A. After that you can click on the point B and everything you clicked before moves those exact coordinates. Here shown how it works: http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/move.htm

I run into this problem sometimes when i need to align multiple paths, the snapping doesnt work there.

For anyone struggeling with the same problem, this is how I solve it:

I draw a rectangle with one corner touching point A and the other one touching point B, now your rectangles x and y side are the x and y coordinates you need to move your objects. Just add or substract the values in the coordinates of your obejct and it moves exactly where you want.

Still I would love to see an easier way of doing that.

BR/Sebastian

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

If you double click the selection tool, you can enter the distance and angle for the move. You still need to know that distance before moving there.

You could use the line segment tool for measuring, it gives you distance and angle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

BastiFntasti,

As I (mis)understand it, you can:

1) Create your rectangle to define the distances with the Rectangle Tool, starting with A snapping to a suitable key Anchor Point belonging to your anything (object, group, single points etc.) and then ClickDragging ending at B, and then lock it or move it behind (you can Ctrl/Cmd+X+B);

2) Select your anything, then ClickDrag everything by the key Anchor Point to B.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double click the selection tool, you can enter the distance and angle for the move. You still need to know that distance before moving there.

You could use the line segment tool for measuring, it gives you distance and angle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,

I didn´t know that-That helps speeding it up a little 🙂

BR/Basti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BastiFntasti,

As I (mis)understand it, you can:

1) Create your rectangle to define the distances with the Rectangle Tool, starting with A snapping to a suitable key Anchor Point belonging to your anything (object, group, single points etc.) and then ClickDragging ending at B, and then lock it or move it behind (you can Ctrl/Cmd+X+B);

2) Select your anything, then ClickDrag everything by the key Anchor Point to B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, 

That´s also a nice work-around!- Thanks 🙂

Basti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BastiFntasti,

There is also a very versatile way of using the Line Segment Tool instead of a rectangle, also in cases where your A and B already exist, and even when they are in a different place than your anything:

1) ClickDrag with the Line Segment Tool from A to B, then deselect and ClickDrag the line to have its first end snap to a suitable key Anchor Point belonging to your anything (object, group, single points etc.);

2) Select your anything and ClickDrag it by the key Anchor Point to the other end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines