• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preserving accent characters in text handling

Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you transfer the contents of ai::UnicodeString and std::string variables when their contents include extended accented characters? For example say a spot color has this name:

Maße

If I have a reference to it and get its name like so:

err = sAICustomColor->GetCustomColorName(cColor, cName);
std::string curStr = cName.as_Platform();

I get this:

Ma√üe

or this:

Ma\xa7e

If I put the ai::UnicodeString into a text frame's text range, I can get its contents correctly as a CORE art object.

ai::UnicodeString spot_string; // this is already populated with extended-character encoded text
const ai::UnicodeString::UTF16Char* utf16buffer;
hdi::core::LayerUP artLayer = HDI_CORE_ILLUSTRATOR->currentDocument()->firstLayer();
bool wasLocked = artLayer->locked();
bool wasVisible = artLayer->visible();
artLayer->setLocked(false);
artLayer->setVisible(true);
hdi::core::ArtSP tmpArt = hdi::core::draw::text("", hdi::core::ArtboardPoint(0,0), "", 8, hdi::core::JustifyLeft, hdi::core::ArtColor::black(),artLayer->group().get());
AIArtHandle tmpTextFrame = tmpArt->aiArtHandle();
TextRangeRef tempRange = NULL;
AIErr error = sAITextFrame->GetATETextRange(tmpTextFrame, &tempRange);
ITextRange irange(tempRange);
irange.Remove();
ai::UnicodeString::size_type tmpsz = sAIUnicodeString->UTF_16(spot_name, utf16buffer);
irange.InsertAfter(utf16buffer, tmpsz);

std::string OK_spot_name = tmpArt->text()->textRange()->contents(); // <-------- this is where the correct text gets assigned

tmpArt->dispose();
artLayer->setLocked(wasLocked);
artLayer->setVisible(wasVisible);

Of course, creating and deleting temporary text objects and the many lines of code needed to accomplish that seems a pretty roundabout method for something that ought to be fairly simple. Is there a straightforward way to copy text from an ai::UnicodeString to std::string and reliably preserve non-ascii accent characters?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

TOPICS
SDK , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

I got an answer on this from Garrett Walbridge at Hot Door. CORE uses std::string with UTF-8 encoding almost everywhere, which works great. When I use suites not included in CORE, there are apparently some simple steps to transfer the text more seamlessly between it and the SDK. He says:

"If you already have an ai::UnicodeString object, you need only call its as_UTF8() method to acquire a std::string in UTF-8 encoding.

If you have a UTF-8 encoded std::string and want to ensure proper constructio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got an answer on this from Garrett Walbridge at Hot Door. CORE uses std::string with UTF-8 encoding almost everywhere, which works great. When I use suites not included in CORE, there are apparently some simple steps to transfer the text more seamlessly between it and the SDK. He says:

"If you already have an ai::UnicodeString object, you need only call its as_UTF8() method to acquire a std::string in UTF-8 encoding.

If you have a UTF-8 encoded std::string and want to ensure proper construction of a new ai::UnicodeString object with it, pass it to the UnicodeString constructor followed by the kAIUTF8CharacterEncoding constant to indicate the encoding."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines