• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing Issues - Text and images appearing pixelated

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am currently facing pixelated print outputs via Adobe Illustrator. Our IT Engineer has checked the printer driver and this has been re-installed several times. This is a brand new macbook running MacOS 12 with M1 chip. 

When printing via other applications it prints normally. This issue is only on Adobe Illustrator. This has been reinstalled several times too.

Can someone please raise a support ticket for this?

TOPICS
Bug , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Make sure you've downloaded the PPD Installer for your OS from Ricoh (http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc3/model/imc2000/imc2000.htm). Once installed, you can then install the printer through System Preferences "Select Software" which should present you a list of the applicable PPDs. Select the 2500 PS.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 12.59.08 PM.png

Once installed, click Options and make sure Adobe Postscript or Emulate Postscript is selected, depending on which option you have installed in your printer.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 12.55.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

If your Ricoh is a shared printer (i.e., it's been set up on a server in your organization), then it's very likely your IT team configured it improperly at that point. e.g. If they configured it with a PCL driver, then it will very definitely not print properly from Illustrator, as your Mac is not seeing the printer as Postscript-capable, even if it is.

So let's recap. This is what you should have in your Mac's System Printer settings:

1. Kind s/b "RICOH IM C2500 PS"

2. under Options: should be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Genesis252301604oya,

We are sorry to hear about this. Would you mind confirming if you have tried the steps suggested in this helpx article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-documents-printing.html)? If not, please try and let us know how it goes.

If you are still facing the issue, would it be possible for your to share the Ai file with us and screenshots of your print settings?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

Thank you for your response! 

I've followed the steps from the link you sent but had no luck. The prints still appear pixelated when printing from an Illustrator file but are fine when printing from Acrobat. 

The link below is the file I'm trying to print:
https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/a9600c95-4938-46cb-4558-69145eb0d51a

Below are some screenshots of the print settings I'm using on Illustrator and acrobat. Attached below are some pictures of the prints (the pixelated one being from Illustrator).

IMG_9802.jpg IMG_9804.jpg

Thank you,
Genesis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Genesis252301604oya,

Thanks for sharing the file and screenshots. I printed at my end with the default print settings, and it came out fine.

You may try that and see if that helps! If it doesn't, try resetting Illustrator preferences manually and let us know how it goes.

Anshul_Saini_1-1658338863028.png

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

I've tried both of the options provided, unfortunatley the results are the same. Below pictures:

IMG_9834.jpg

 

IMG_9835.jpg

Do you have some other suggestions that might work?

Best,
Genesis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your Ricoh is a shared printer (i.e., it's been set up on a server in your organization), then it's very likely your IT team configured it improperly at that point. e.g. If they configured it with a PCL driver, then it will very definitely not print properly from Illustrator, as your Mac is not seeing the printer as Postscript-capable, even if it is.

So let's recap. This is what you should have in your Mac's System Printer settings:

1. Kind s/b "RICOH IM C2500 PS"

2. under Options: should be either "Postscript Emulation" or "Adobe Postscript", depending on what the machine has installed internally. True Adobe Postscript is best, but is not default for the Ricoh. Regardless, s/b set appropriately

3. In Illustrator (or InDesign), when you go to Print, the appropriate PPD should be indicated. The fact there is none listed in your Print screen screengrab indicates your system assumes the printer is non-Postscript.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 11.27.21 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genesis,

"Our IT Engineer has checked the printer driver"

Is it a PostScript (emulating) printer driver, or what happens if you switch to one, or what happens if you Save (a Copy) As PDF or Print to PDF, then make the actual print from Acrobat (Reader)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Yes, the printer driver installed is a PostScript driver. 
When saving the file as a pdf and opening it on acrobat, it prints out fine without pixelation. You can see the difference in the images above in my response to Anshul. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genesis,

What happens if you untick Advanced>Print as Bitmap (AiPrintSett - 2.png)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same results unfortunately 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has the appearance of attemptimg to print EPS graphics to a non-Postscript printer, so if, in your Illustrator document, you have PLACED EPS files from another source, this could be it. Or, you have the wrong driver installed for the printer you have and this is confusing Illustrator.

In either of these cases, What you should do is save your file as a PDF, then use Acrobat to print the files.

In the meantime.. What is your printer/model?

DO you have placed elements, and what are they?

How EXACTLY are you printing this document? (show screen grabs of your process)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad,

This is a(nother) case where you could have said to me: "That's not a reply. This is a reply."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was more of a post-timing thing. When I started my response, your post wasn't there yet!! I have this habit of starting a response and then mulling it a bit, then by the time I've clicked send, others have jumped on it. Sorry!! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, I was simply exhilarated by your thorough answer, and fully aware that it was completely independent of mine, so there is nothing to be sorry about.

I regularly have to leave for a while before finishing a post, then post and leave again; sometimes to find out much later that others have posted answers in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Canadian. We were BORN to be sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

I thought it might be because of an EPS graphic in the file too but when I tried printing without it, the appearance was the same. I also tried printing other Illustrator files but the same happens each time. When printing from other applications, there is no pixelation either. 

The printer model is: RICOH IM C2500 
The EPS I've placed is a barcode. I usually open the EPS file, copy the contents and paste it into the file I'm working on.

Below are screenshots of the settings i'm using when I print:

  

AiPrintSett - 1.png

AiPrintSett - 2.png

AiPrintSett - 3.png

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe your printer was installed correctly. If you indeed have the Postscript version of the driver, you should be seeing a PPD come up, and Printing as bitmap shouldn't be available as it's irrelevant with a true PS driver.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 12.51.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you've downloaded the PPD Installer for your OS from Ricoh (http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc3/model/imc2000/imc2000.htm). Once installed, you can then install the printer through System Preferences "Select Software" which should present you a list of the applicable PPDs. Select the 2500 PS.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 12.59.08 PM.png

Once installed, click Options and make sure Adobe Postscript or Emulate Postscript is selected, depending on which option you have installed in your printer.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 12.55.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad, 

Thank you for your support!

I will get this info to the IT engineer who installed the printer on this laptop and get back to you 🙂

Best,
Genesis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines