Problems with expand cannot undo

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner/intermediate user of Illustrator. I used the pen tool to outline letters that compose a word (for example, the word "hello", which I have done without any issue many times before. In the process of creating this design, I expanded the outline. I found the problem because I was unable to color the letters, only the now expanded outlines of the letters. I spent some time trying to correct the problem before I decided to undo my work until I reached the point where I made the error. I did undo until it could undo no more, but I was still not at the point where I needed to go back. So, with that said....what do you suggest I do to to resolve this problem? Any workarounds? If nothing else, is there a way to reproduce the design without having to retrace it with the pen tool? Thank you so much for any help!

TOPICS
Draw and design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. There is a limited undo number in Illustrator. You can modify that number in Preferences > Performance > Others.

If you work with Cloud documents you can use the Version History. Maybe it's a better option to keep the track of the editions.

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scan it and run image trace, then clean up (if necessary).

To your original issue try ungrouping and/or removing compound paths.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I understand your description, it should be possible to color the letters using the Live Paint Bucket tool

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines