Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QR Codes Not Working Once Exported from Illustrator to .pdf

Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am having some issues with QR codes in Adobe. I created a QR code in Adobe InDesign, and brought it over to Illustrator for a full page magazine ad I am designing.

the QR code worked great when I made it in InDesign before I brought it over, and also worked when I tested in in the Illustrator file viewing at 100%.

I "saved as" .pdf, and when viewing at 100%, the QR code does not work. If I zoom in quite a bit, it does work.

Is this just because the QR code need to be bigger? It is currently .5119"x.5119". I don't want it to be gigantic, but I'm not sure what other issues might be causing it not to read.

ALSO... For you other Adobe users out there... Is InDesign your go-to QR code generator? Or do you prefer something else? 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Yes, I did try printing it out. The only thing that made it work was making it bigger. 

I am looking for these page display setting and I am not seeing them. Edit-->Preferences-->?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you print out the code or scanned with your cell from the screen????????

There likely is nothing wrong with the QR code in the .pdf file, you may have a vie setting like enhance thin lines on. Try printing out and scnaning.

MikeGondek_0-1635289245819.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did try printing it out. The only thing that made it work was making it bigger. 

I am looking for these page display setting and I am not seeing them. Edit-->Preferences-->?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this post is releant to me issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a new file in RGB (for me 2000px x 2000px), then upload the artboards from your QR to the new file, delete the artboard from 2000px x 2000px. Transform the file from RGB to CMYK. Then export again in PDF. Fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yonipeters  schrieb:

Make a new file in RGB (for me 2000px x 2000px), then upload the artboards from your QR to the new file, delete the artboard from 2000px x 2000px. Transform the file from RGB to CMYK. Then export again in PDF. Fixed it for me.

Delete the artboard? That is not possible if there is only one artboard.

The problem in this thread is probably the size of the QR code (minimum size is 0.8 x 0.8 inches), but how should your post solve that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem when I saved a copy from Illustrator (from a document in .aic format- saved in cloud assets) to a .PDF output. The QR code looked incomplete. At first, I thought I made a mistake and tried it several times. I fixed it by adding a white rectangle behind the qr code image. It resolved the error and the code works fine, even when I make it smallish (looks better). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QR Codes are not going to work accurately if they are placed on anything other than a white background. They'll work on a light colored background or light gradient background. But anything with texture and varying degrees of contrast will interfere with the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good callout. In my case it was a white/empty background in Illustrator. Adding a white rectangle behind it oddly worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this late response isn't pointless, but how was the QR code artwork brought into Illustrator? Was it exported from InDesign and brought into Illustrator as a PDF file? If so, one thing I've noticed is the QR Codes tend to lack the usual white background. The black data tiles are the only elements that get imported. On top of that there is a good number of overlapping blocks that should be cleaned up with the Pathfinder Unite command. Nevertheless, the white background (or solid light colored background) is vital for the code to work.

The QR Codes generated by InDesign are a bit more "clean" than those generated by Adobe Express. The SVG versions of QR Codes output from Adobe Express tend to have one or more extranneous clipping masks present. When the SVG file is first imported into Adobe Illustrator it usually doesn't have a fill at all. The QR Code has to be viewed in Outline View. Clipping masks have to be released and eliminated. Then a black fill can be applied to the actual code tiles. It also helps to perform a Pathfinder Unite operation on the code tiles to clean up the overlapping trash. It goes without saying to keep the smartphone handy to test the code as you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look into using InDesign's QR codes. I used Express for ease of use and exported to svg. It did look like a clipping mask the way it cut off part of the QR image. Something a little off in how it exported the image in Express perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines