Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Export for Screens" Control Dimensions and Resolution

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am trying to do:

I'm trying to save multiple versions of icons in a variety of formats.

How do you further specify controls around how different files will be saved when using "export for screens"?

Love the new feature for illustrator "export for screens", however I'm at a bit of a crossroads when trying to specify how I want my artboards to be saved.

I work on icons and logos that often need to be built for print and digital (CMYK and RGB). Upon discovering this feature I decided I would build my file for print (CMYK) initially, with the assumption that conversion to digital RGB would be easier than doing the reverse. I have 1 file in CMYK format and the same file converted to RGB.

I am exporting to PDF, SVG, JPG 100 and PNG.

• CMYK: PDF, JPG
  • RGB: PDF, SVG, JPG, PNG

Issues:

Everything works great except for the following happening to bitmap images (JPG, PNG):

The inability to control both resolution and dimension

• I know you can change from dimension to resolution in "export for screens", but these two things are not interchangeable, I need to be able to change them both.
  • Also each image size seems to be exported as a different resolution (not all artboards are the same size).

A 1px transparent / white border added to the top and right side.

• The border should not be happening for any reason as I use: Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art, on all my designs.

What I've tried:

File > Export > Export for Screens > Format Settings

• Can't seem to specify resolution for bitmap images (JPG, PNG)

File > Export > Export As

• Can specify resolution but doesn't have the added features that Export for Screens has

File > Document Setup > General > Transparency and Overprint options > Preset >

• Line Art and Text Resolution
  • Gradient and Mesh Resolution

Changing artboard sizes and document measurements (inches to pixels)

File > Preferences

• Couldn't find anything relevant

Edit > My Settings > Export Settings

• Doesn't do what I was hoping it would, but what I expected it to.

Effects > Document Raster Effects Settings > Resolution

• Doesn't do what I was hoping it would, but what I expected it to.

Semi - solutions:

Hopefully I'm missing something simple here, but I'd rather avoid a solution like: make an artboard for each size you want to export, then use the Export for Screens resolution option.

I know I can use artboards in Photoshop which may be the most viable solution if Illustrator is too much of a hassle.

Potential feature requests

1. Wondering if this would make sense to be submitted as a feature request.
  2. It would also be nice if Adobe had presets for other files just like "Adobe PDF Presets" so you can make definitions for a variety of file types.

Related posts

Export to Screens exports PNGs and changes the resolution size for IOS assets - is this a bug?

Final thoughts:

If it is simply they haven't fully built out this new feature yet, or I'm not using it for its intended purpose, let me know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Feature Request was submitted to address the dimension and resolution issues, and desired features.

"Export for Screens" Control Dimensions and Resolution with Additional Profiles – Adobe Illustrator Feedback​

If you read this please follow the link above and vote for this if you agree with the submitted feature request.

If you have any ideas around modifying the feature request, leave a comment in the feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thishowedoit,

I would request you to share your suggestions and feature request to our Adobe Illustrator Feedback.

This is the best way of communicating to the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Srishti, I will go ahead and do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Request was submitted to address the dimension and resolution issues, and desired features.

"Export for Screens" Control Dimensions and Resolution with Additional Profiles – Adobe Illustrator ...​

If you read this please follow the link above and vote for this if you agree with the submitted feature request.

If you have any ideas around modifying the feature request, leave a comment in the feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great that Adobe never fixed it! ... 6 years and no progress, applause for Adobe (Just the generated file size is a nightmare whith "export for screens", still).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines