• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Not enough memory to open file" but the storage on the computer has plenty available

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added another scratch disk, I've made sure Illustrator is up to date, I've done what I can think of and what I've found online. The file I have I know is large and even if I wanted to reduce it I can't even open it to do so. It's a new computer so I know it's not bogged down with other files. I save everything else to a drive network so the computer itsself is bare bones. I do this because the way that I have to work creates large files like this. 

Any idea how I can make Illustrator use more of the computer's memory? I don't know if it limits how much it takes but to me it seems like there is plenty available, I don't know why it's saying it's full. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Hello @JBD_000024,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. We are here to help and would like to suggest trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/not-enough-memory-illustrator-cc.html) and checking if it helps. We appreciate your time and effort in helping us resolve this issue.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Note: Marking correct for visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Memory refers to RAM.

So how much RAM is installed?

How many other applications are open?

How large is the file?

You might want to try and reboot the comoputer, launch only Illustrator and then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to check how much RAM the computer has, and when I use illustrator like this I usually try to have it be the only application open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 GB computer 

I have a feeling that that is not enough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @JBD_000024,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. We are here to help and would like to suggest trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/not-enough-memory-illustrator-cc.html) and checking if it helps. We appreciate your time and effort in helping us resolve this issue.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Note: Marking correct for visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines