• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option not working??

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a print-ready PDF file of a vector illustration to be sold on Etsy as a digital download. I would like to eliminate the possibility of a buyer easily manipulating the original artwork and reselling it as their own. So, I've saved the PDF with "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" UNCHECKED. However, when I open the PDF back in Illustrator (version CC 2014), it still shows up as editable vector artwork with paths. I thought unchecking the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" option was supposed to prevent access to the original vector file?? Thanks for anyone's help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

I rasterized it like you said and it should work. 

I print on 48" X 96" sheets of .020" polycarbonate.

Then cut to smaller sheets on a colex cutter, then kiss cut to smaller labels or whatever is needed after adhesive is applied. Thanks for the help about the rasterizing. It gets a little fuzzy but it should be fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that‘s Not a security option or lock (there is no such thing: you are selling the vectors for reuse).

With the option the editor has the original AI design, its layers, swatches, meshes and everything you have. Creators use it to save for working on themselves. Without the option Illustrator tries, as with any PDF to find all the text and paths, and make it into editable objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot save vectors in a way that they are completely uneditable.

Please watch this about saving Illustrator files: How Illustrator saves files - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can Save as a PDF and create a password to make it uneditable in the settings.

Br

Mia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

miab71729855  schrieb

Hi,

You can Save as a PDF and create a password to make it uneditable in the settings.

1. That can be hacked by anyone who is able to do a Google search (in less than 2 minutes)

2. Printers won't accept those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set a password, but since most software will ignore that, it's probably not much good. Also, locked clip art is likely to be unacceptable, people may NEED to edit it to be any use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a very complicated schematic. I save it as a High Quality PDF file with Illustrator capabilities turned off. Then I drag the PDF to AI for stepping so I can print several copies on a large format sheet. When I embed the image to save as AI it converts to Vector. Even though it shold be a PDF image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bongofernie  schrieb:

Even though it shold be a PDF image.

There can be vector elements inside a PDF. So when embedding this is absolutely acting as expected. Why do you embed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is a file on my desktop. If I drag it into AI and save and then close. When I put the PDF file in the trash and then open the AI it says the image is missing. I have to drag thePDF out of the trash and then I see it in the AI file. So I embed it but then it is Vector again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>So I embed it but then it is Vector again

Because the source file is vector - creating a pdf does not rasterize (although you could do that if you wanted)...

I don't understand why you have to go through those extra steps however, just create touching (or even overlapping) artboards in your file and print each of those...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thanks so much for the hellp. My problem is the file is 14.4 mb and I need to step it on a sheet lets say 48 times. The lines of the detailed schematic are .3pt thick and there are a ton of them. The file is slow. Toching artboards may work but I still need to keep the original PDF on the desktop or the image disappears.

I just made it into a raster 2400  the quality is lower abut I think it may be ok for printing. We will see.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14,4 MB is not a huge file and you might want to learn the basics of desktop publishing.

Just place and link your file. And then make those copies (or use the transform effect qtwice and then print it. I don't get it why you think you need to embed that file. It's absolutely unnecessary. Just keep the original PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same image 48 times? I misunderstood, I thought you had a large file that you had to print in 1/48 parts of it.

I just looked at your original post - so you're not selling a digital file? - if you are, why do you need to create 48 of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I rasterized it like you said and it should work. 

I print on 48" X 96" sheets of .020" polycarbonate.

Then cut to smaller sheets on a colex cutter, then kiss cut to smaller labels or whatever is needed after adhesive is applied. Thanks for the help about the rasterizing. It gets a little fuzzy but it should be fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines