• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error"

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, after updating to the newest version of Illustrator, I can't work with it anymore. As soon as I click on it, it loads as usual, but then it shows me this "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error" message. After I click "Okay", Illustrator opens, but it doesn't show anything besides the menu and I can't even open a new file or anything else, which means I can't use it anymore. Please help. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Hi,
I was also facing the same problem, but it was fixed by renaming the folder. Please follow following steps

Go to following locations and rename "extentions" to "extensions_old"
Windows:  Program files /common files /Adobe /UXP /extensions
MAC: /library > application support > Adobe > UXP > extensions.

I hope this works for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Just for anyone else who still needs a solution - your canvas size might also be too large.
If you can, make it as small as you can afford to.

I tried all the suggestions here, then changed my canvas size and making it smaller fixed the issue for me

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Does your system meet the minimum requirements? If you could share some of your specs it would help us to diagnose the problem. Things we'd need to know include: Operating system (and specific version), Type of machine, amount of installed RAM, type of graphics card. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the minimum requirements here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

If you meet the minimum requirements, then your prefs may have become corrupted. You can reset them following here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-reset-illustrator-preferences/td-p/10602277?page=1

Also restart your computer and make sure the Adobe Cloud is up and running. That can clear up corruption in the cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Resetting the preferences in Adobe works for me. I went to Edit -> Preferences -> General and clicking on the button Reset Preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same with me, nothing helps. * Illustrator 24.2.3

Reset preferens, competently wipe with AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool, error is always repeated.

For me, the error is in the previous  versions as well.

HP ZBook 17 G5

Win 10 Pro  2004 (10.0.19041)

NVIDIA Quadro P4200 - driver ver. 452.06

32 GB RAM

Maybe it can help: in      C:\Users\xxxxxxAppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings\en_US\x64         

24.2.3.CrashModule\  Fault:  AIUXPExtensionHostAPI.dll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I was also facing the same problem, but it was fixed by renaming the folder. Please follow following steps

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it works, thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, sir. It really worked this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! You can't imagine how long I was dealing with this trouble. Even the Adobe Support had declined haha, they said the only solution was to use an older version of Illustrator.

This worked perfectly.

Thank you so much! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to award you the highest honor I can bestow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's works...... nice tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me!!! Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me, I initially saw a YT video that said change the "UXP" folder to "00UXP", following the failure of that method I tried using this one, and i still get the same error again and this is causing a lot of problems like me not being able to use or even reset or change any of the shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charu Rajput 

I did these steps and couldnt find extentions folder please help

Thanks 

- Jarrett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find where to do this, help please 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @valentinaikjanoa,

Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding the folder locations to rename the "UXP" & "CEP" folders.

To rename the UXP & CEP folder on a Windows machine, please follow these steps:
Open File Explorer (This PC) and paste the following location in the address bar:

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • %AppData%\Adobe\

To rename the UXP & CEP folder on a Mac machine, please follow these steps:

1. Click on the Finder icon on the Dock.
  2. Click on "Go" from the menu bar and select "Go to Folder."
  3. Type in the following locations and click "Go."
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe
    ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

If you continue to experience difficulties, please provide us with more details. Does an unknown error occur when trying to perform a particular action in Illustrator? If the issue happens while working on a specific file, please send us the file so that we can investigate it on our end. Finally, could you please confirm the version of Illustrator that you are currently using?

We look forward to hearing back from you and helping you resolve the issue.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method still doesn't work for me.

I'm using Ai 2019 and there no UXP folder in my "Adobe common files" folder. 

Hi,

By @Charu Rajput

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Felix29713607aluc,

Sorry to hear that you're facing an issue with Illustrator 2019. The error message "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error" can be caused by several factors, such as corrupted preferences, incompatible plugins, or damaged files.

Would you mind updating to the latest Illustrator version, 27.5, and see if that helps? You can also keep the Ai 2019 at the same time.

If this doesn't work, please provide us with more details about the issue you're facing, such as the specific action you were trying to perform when the error occurred, a screenshot of the error message that may have appeared, and the operating system you're using. This will help us narrow down the cause of the issue and provide you with a more accurate solution.

Thanks and Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice, I tried many ways, including re-install software about 4 times and finally your solution worked for me. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i got the same problem. But i had to download Microsoft Visual C++ from 2008 to 2017, after that i restarted my computer and now it fully working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your solution worked fine thank you i appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. your article help me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for anyone else who still needs a solution - your canvas size might also be too large.
If you can, make it as small as you can afford to.

I tried all the suggestions here, then changed my canvas size and making it smaller fixed the issue for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Configuration: iMacPro (2017) running macOS Big Sur v11.5. Illustrator v. 25.3.1.

I created an illustraton that I need to rotate/revolve as a group. The moment I hit either the Revolve or Rotate command, I get the error "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error.[CANT]. I press OK and i get the 3D revolve spec window. With Preview clicked, the moment I try to change any properties, the error reemerges. My artboard is only about 15" x 12". Changing the size doesn't seem to do anything even if i make it 1 x 1.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error occurs when trying to do a variety of tasks. (example File > Export, etc.)

All adobe apps have become so glitchy. Waste of time to 'upgrade' to the lasted software versions as those are the worst.

ADOBE FIX YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.12.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines