"Transform Pattern Only" not working

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017. I'm trying to transform the pattern only. I went into the transform panel, went to options, and selected "Transform Pattern Only." Then I go to the select tool, or the transform tool. Both object AND pattern are transformed or rotated. When I use direct select tool to move the pattern, it works as expected. Pattern is moved, but not the object.

If I select "Transform Object Only," the setting behaves as expected. The object is rotated while the pattern is stationary.

The tilde shortcut isn't working, either.

I can rotate the pattern in the value box, where I can punch in a number and see how it looks, but everything on the internet tells me I should be able to just use the normal transform tools. I don't know why checking "Transform Pattern Only" doesn't work. Anyone have any idea?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Which language?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English keyboard (if that's what you mean; I know the tilde shortcut is different on different keyboards)

Windows 10 Operating System

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Windows as also Illustrator are in English as well?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's all English

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work with the selection tool and the rotate, scale, shear and mirror when you press the tilde key.

While you transform it first looks as if the object is move, but when you release the mouse, it's really only the pattern.

Do you have any tools installed that enhance keyboard input or shortcuts?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works with scale, shear, and mirror. But it still doesn't work with rotate. I release the mouse, and the both object and pattern is rotated.

I have no other tools installed.....though, actually, this is a workplace computer, so I can't promise that. Do you know how I can find that out?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I'm a Mac person 🙂

Don't know how to find out anything on Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on my (windows) keyboard, it's the ` key, above tab.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how it is on my keyboard, too. The ` shortcut works as expected with every other transform function except for rotate. I can scale, shear, etc, but if I want the pattern rotated, I have to punch in numbers.

Or, it WAS working. Today when I logged in, the tilde isn't working at all anymore. Except when I use the direct select tool to move the pattern around.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My transform tools are all screwed up too!

(I am on mac, english keyboard)

Rotate and scale seem to be affected.

Tilde is not working.

I cannot choose any option except to rotate/scale the object only, patterns and gradients remain the same orientation and scale. The option to transform patterns is unchecked and transform object is checked, but I cannot change this as they are both greyed out in the pop up window, and no matter what I choose in the drop down menu they default back and are still unselectable.

I have tried making a new file, making a new object, restarting the program, and restarting my computer.

Something is wrong with the program.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines