• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random grouping of objects, text etc after "Undo"(command "z")

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been annoying me for a while now and stretches back several months, if not longer.

Once in a while, when I use Command"z" to go a few steps back, I end up with objects and text being grouped that were never grouped in the first place. Most of the time, the issue somehow resolves itself after I randomly select some other objects outside of this newly formed "group". Still, it`s a big time waste.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they really grouped? You can check that in the Layers panel.

Or do they just get selected together? There is an issue with objects getting selected randomly.

This is one thread about it: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/illustrator-randomly-selects-unrelated-object... There are more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That`s a valid point you're making there, Monika. I haven`t checked in the layers panel if those objects are really grouped or just selected together. I guess they are selected together, but nevertheless, it takes a while for them to deselect again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this can affect your workflow in very bad ways. This seems to be difficult to locate and thus has not been solved. I cannot find a report on Illustrator uservoice (the bug tracking site). https://illustrator.uservoice.com  You could search the site again and then support a bug report or just report it there yourself in order to try and get it solved.

I assume that you have already tried rebooting the computer and resetting the preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html  (resetting the preferences erases your settings. There are methods that can be made undone)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the appearance palette to check if your selection is grouped.

As the items appear to not be grouped but selected, would using Shift command A to deselect all, or clicking where no objects exist help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It`s a grouping issue. It messed up my artwork just now. But now I cannot ungroup the objects any longer. I can try to ungroup as much as I like, but nothing is happening. It`s a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines