• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raster content in Illustrator is jagged when exported with the new "Export for screens..." dialog

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place a hi-res bitmap in an artboard along with some vector, it looks good on screen.

When I use the "Save for Web (Legacy)" dialog with "Art Optimized" selected, everything looks good.

When I use the new "Export for screens..." dialog, vector content is sharp, raster content is jagged and blurred.

I use the same export settings on both export functions (2048 px wide PNG)

Please note that changing the DPI in "Document Raster Effect Settings" does not change anything (there is no effect, it's just a bitmap placed on the artboard).

"Export for screens..." (stein is jagged and blurred):

Export-for-Screens.jpg

"Save for Web (Legacy)" (stein is smooth, as shown on screen):

Save-for-Web.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

sixstorm2  wrote

There is no anti-aliasing options in the new export dialog.

There is an option for Type Optimized or Art Optimized in both export options.

The option is a little hidden in the Export for Screens (click the Cog icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sixstorm,

You're not the first person to complain about Adobe's Export feature. It has promise but it's not there yet. I suggest you continue to use the "Save for web..." as I (and many others) do.

If you haven't already, please leave a comment here: Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator?

What format is your high res bitmap?

What resolution, and did you scale it in Illustrator?

I tried to replicate your problem, but I could not.

Maybe you can share your .ai file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Illustrator CC 2018 23.0.1 (64-bit)

2. JPG. But it doesn't matter, I can reproduce with any raster format (BMG, PNG, etc).

3. Yes it is scaled down in Illustrator at about 50%. The DPI of my imported bitmap (92 DPI scaled at 50%  = 192 DPI)  is much higher than the DPI of the exported artboard  (72 DPI), so it should look sharp.

4. Here is the link to the AI. Export the AI and notice the difference in the smoothness of the steins between "Export for screens" and the legacy "Save for Web" functions. Sondage Bucks 2019.ai - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sixstorm2  wrote

4. Here is the link to the AI. Export the AI and notice the difference in the smoothness of the steins between "Export for screens" and the legacy "Save for Web" functions. Sondage Bucks 2019.ai - Google Drive

Unfortunately, all of the linked files are missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, here's the AI with embedded files: Sondage Bucks 2019.ai - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They all look equally good or bad to me.

The images are all low res jpeg files and scaling them down does not make them high res.

The example you show has a resolution of 145,204 X 145,204 in Illustrator.

The export will be resampled, maybe with diffrent anti-aliasing options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about the confusing "hi-res" part, let's say it's just a bitmap. What I mean is that it is enough resolution to be rendered correctly for the target export size with no upscaling. When you place bitmap having a certain DPI and export the artboard with an equal or lower DPI, the raster bitmap should look good. In my initial post, you can clearly see a difference between the exports. If it looks the same on your system, I don't know what to tell you, I don't understand why the same version of Illustrator exports differently on two systems. There is no anti-aliasing options in the new export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please note that the original image is 341 x 417 px. 145 x 145 is the size after it was scaled down on the artboard. You can see the original resolution so if you "Unembed" the image and check the file properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also see the resolution after scaling in the Link Panel panel or even more detailed in the Document Info panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sixstorm2  wrote

There is no anti-aliasing options in the new export dialog.

There is an option for Type Optimized or Art Optimized in both export options.

The option is a little hidden in the Export for Screens (click the Cog icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick, exported image is smooth. It was indeed well hidden... Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines