Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recalling merged Graphic Style?

Engaged ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can apply a Graphic Style to an object without altering the existing appearance/style attributes of the object. This is done by merging the Graphic Style with the object. My question is whether there is a way to recall that Graphic Style once it has been merged. It seems that once merged (not applied), the merged style is no longer connected to the Graphic Style.

For instance, I merge Graphic Style G1 with an object O1, then I make changes to the Graphic Style G1. Is there a way for these changes to be reflected automatically on the object O1?

This is for CS4.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Well, by using the Alt-Click method you don't apply the graphic style. You only apply its appearance attributes, but then the object is not bound to the original style.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure if I understand your request correctly.

Usually, if one merges different graphic styles, a completely new graphic style is being created. Therefore the object that is then bound to that new style cannot be modified by changing the pre-merged style.

So, the question is why you would not just modify the new style that is applied to the object.

Am I overlooking something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt,

Let me clarify what I'm saying. I'm referring to the second bullet point in the manual, in "Apply a Graphc Style":

To merge a style with an object’s existing style attributes, or apply multiple styles to an object, do either of the following:

• Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the style from the Graphic Styles panel to the object.

• Select the object, and then Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the style in the Graphic Styles panel.

In this case, whatever style attributes are already applied to the object remain intact, and the Graphic Style is applied on top of them. Hence the term "merged". I am not merging graphic styles in the Graphic Styles panel here.

My issue is that when I merge the Graphic Style G1 in this way with the object O1, that Graphic Style G1 is "lost": I cannot refer to that style in the object anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, by using the Alt-Click method you don't apply the graphic style. You only apply its appearance attributes, but then the object is not bound to the original style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the manual is not quite clear about that. But I figured this is what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you are right that the wording in the manual may be misleading …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines